Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Algae problem

More
11 Nov 2013 20:04 #31 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Replied by Jasonb (Jason Browne) on topic Algae problem
I wouldn't mind, but I have a degree in Biology from back when I was young! So I do love Science, but especially when it works the way I want it to... :)

J.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2013 21:52 #32 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic Algae problem

Results from tonight:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7.4-7.6

So that's pretty decent. The tank is looking nice and clean, and fingers crossed it will stay that way, I don't want another algae outbreak!

Thanks...

J.

you will get another algae out break, fish will die and water tests will go arse ways from time to time but jason welcome to fish keeping.

More
12 Nov 2013 11:02 #33 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic Algae problem

I will try keep this short Jason. Looks like you had enough to read already. :lol:

Yes you can leaver the filter, just turn it of for the water change.
It is best to leave the décor dry.

I commend you for fishless cycling but this also needs to be done with caution.
Looking at the tank I would guess the ammonia levels peaked very high while you were still dosing ammonia. This can be to much for some plants (the vallis) and algae loves it.

You should be able to do the whole lot in a day.
remove/clean décor.
Clean glass/silicone.
Syphon manado off top layer.
Syphon out as much water as possible. It doesn't have to be all of it.
Refill from tap and treat water in tank.
Restart filter.
ready for fish (ammonia+nitrite 0ppm) in a couple of days.

the idea of changing a lot of water is to reset the tank.
After you were dosing the ammonia and the ammonia and nitrite came down to zero, that was the time to add the fish.
Once you keep adding the ammonia at that amount you just push up the nitrate.
if you decide to add more ammonia add a lot less. Maybe 1ppm.
Don't stop feeding the plants.

+1

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds