Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

whitespot out break

More
06 Feb 2014 19:46 #1 by Shuffles (Gavin)
Guys I have 500 liter community tank and recently introduced 7 cardinals and next day they were covered in white spot was treating with esha whitespot lost all cardinals but now arfer few calm days my shoal of rummys have it. Any advice on treat a big planted tank. Really dont want to lose the discus and rummys. Last time I buy fish out of any were but seahorses.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2014 20:37 #2 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Sure more experienced people will have better ideas but this is what I learned some time ago:

- Esha exit which I suppose you are already using, remove the carbon sponge (if any) to avoid the absorption of the treatment
- Elevate the temperature which must be high in your case if you're keeping discus
- Do a water change
- Keep treating few days later even if you don't see any spot.

More
06 Feb 2014 23:18 #3 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic whitespot out break

Guys I have 500 liter community tank and recently introduced 7 cardinals and next day they were covered in white spot was treating with esha whitespot lost all cardinals but now arfer few calm days my shoal of rummys have it. Any advice on treat a big planted tank. Really dont want to lose the discus and rummys. Last time I buy fish out of any were but seahorses.

You cannot blame this on any LFS, the owness is you to quarantine them, I got fish from Seahorse and got whitespot, it goes with the territory, white is really virulent right now due to resistant forms and intensive breeding.

Follow the usual suggestions available from the search facility on the Forum, I still buy from Seahorse, one of the best but it is up to me to quarantine.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
07 Feb 2014 08:46 #4 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
Got this myself when I first started this hobby.

What worked for me was slowly raising the water temperature to about 31 degrees over a few days and leaving it up for just over a week

More
07 Feb 2014 08:54 #5 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic whitespot out break
Using this method is totally dependent on the species of plants and Fish, Invertebrates etc in your set up, some cannot tolerate high temps so research before raising temps.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
07 Feb 2014 10:17 #6 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Protozin by Waterlife works well. This is a common disease and more common across certain species that are 'more susceptible' to it. If what you are keeping can withstand a hike in temp, it will kill it quickly enough. When I started, I got it on a few blue rams I had and protozin did the job...

More
07 Feb 2014 14:09 - 07 Feb 2014 14:14 #7 by Mike53 (Michael)
Big tanks are very expensive to treat white spot as the usual shelf products wouldn't cover for half of one treatment on a 500L. That said ask one of the sponsers, I do know that you can get super strong stuff which isn't normally on the shelf and was sold to me by one of the sponsers after a bad dose I couldn't shift in my 350 Ltr tank a few year back.

That said since then I find raising the temp to 30 /31 degree's as posted by darkslice for about a week or two does the job, it meant getting another heater as the one I had wouldnt do the job on its own. If you go this route don't whack it up in one go, do it gradually over a couple of days and the reduce the heat gradually afterwards. (I found that a sudden reduction in the heat and the white spot returned).

I found mosses and some stem plants can't stand the heat though and tended to deteriate fairly quickly so may be worth taking them out and putting in a bucket or another tank if you have one. These days I keep my 350lt tank at about 29/30 degrees all the time and I've never had a problem since. Touch wood!

Mike
Last edit: 07 Feb 2014 14:14 by Mike53 (Michael).

More
07 Feb 2014 15:44 #8 by Shuffles (Gavin)
Thanks Guysfor all you help

hopefully they pull through with treatment and tempeture rise

More
08 Feb 2014 22:51 #9 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Protozin is one of the best and most potent off-the-shelf cures, but not all species of fish tolerate it (Discus will though). For sensitive fish (eg wild rams or chocolate gourami etc) I would suggest eSHa Exit (milder in use).

Raising the temp does not really do anything to kill the parasite unless a suitable medicatioin is added.
What raising the temp does do is to shorten the period of the life cycle......you should not be trying to kill the parasite when it is on the fish but when it leaves the fish. The medication kills the parasite when it is off the fish.

Discus are one of the easiest fish to treat for whitespot as they can tolerate high temps and most off-the-shelf medications very well.

However, my feelings are that if discus have whitespot then there is a serious problem in the tank.
You should increase aeration and water movement throughout all corners of the tank.
Carefully clean filters and stationary objects; vacuum clean the gravel; wipe down the inside corners of the tank.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds