Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Cloudy Water

More
10 Feb 2014 17:43 - 10 Feb 2014 17:44 #1 by alan61979 (Alan)
Cleaned the glass the other day and it looks like any algae that I cleaned is now suspended in the water. The water looks a bit cloudy. I have no idea why. The tank is set up a few years, nothing has changed to cause this. Water movement is as per normal. The lights and CO2 gas are both on timers, the last water change was only a week ago. All tested water parameters are normal.

I put some carbon into the filter this afternoon to try and clear it up. I know it's not ideal adding carbon to a planted tank, I just wanted to see if it helped.

Any suggestions?

Last edit: 10 Feb 2014 17:44 by alan61979 (Alan).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2014 19:08 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Could be a bacterial bloom gor a number of reasons!
Have you ever had it before? I get them now and again and never for any specific reason that i know of or pattern that i can see

Im considering adding a uv sterriliser if it happens again

More
10 Feb 2014 19:19 #3 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Alan not sure about if is a good idea removing your carbon sponge, I've read about this and removed mine for a while and then I read other people telling it was a myth so put it again.
Sometimes there are too much info and contrary opinions.

More
10 Feb 2014 20:12 #4 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Replied by Stem12 (Stephen M) on topic Cloudy Water
umm looks the same as mine was a few months back, how's the feeding going, maybe slightly to much?
you should try the micro filter floss for 24hrs, and/or turn the lights off and cover the tank for 2-3 days, that should make a difference, if all else fails
the best way is a uv filter...
Hopefully you get this sorted soon,

S.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
10 Feb 2014 20:23 #5 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic Cloudy Water
I don't believe anything will fix this when it gets to that stage it's always a loosing head wrecking problem you will try all the suggestions and all the products and you will then you will give in and try a uv steriliser and then within days booom it's all gone, so if you have a spare few euros get a uv as quick as you can and save yourself the stress

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
10 Feb 2014 22:52 #6 by alan61979 (Alan)
Replied by alan61979 (Alan) on topic Cloudy Water
Nothing has changed, regarding feeding or anything like that. That's why it's a bit of surprise to me. Might look into getting a UV, but will see what happens first over the next few days. Will test the water everyday just in case.

More
11 Feb 2014 11:01 #7 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
If I could make a few suggestions,
You should have a look at a couple of bristle nose plecos for algae control
Or a handful of ottos
This will keep it under control
If you haven't already!
If you already have some you may be feeding them to a stage where there lazy and won't eat algae!
Alternatively you should get a bottle of algae exit and a bottle of easylife filter fluid medium
Great for algae control and cloudy water
Hope this helps

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
11 Feb 2014 17:52 #8 by alan61979 (Alan)

If I could make a few suggestions,
You should have a look at a couple of bristle nose plecos for algae control
Or a handful of ottos
This will keep it under control
If you haven't already!
If you already have some you may be feeding them to a stage where there lazy and won't eat algae!
Alternatively you should get a bottle of algae exit and a bottle of easylife filter fluid medium
Great for algae control and cloudy water
Hope this helps

I have both bristlenose and Ottos. Maybe they are getting lazy.

I have a lot of grass growing along the front of the tank. On closer inspection, it's possible some fish waste could be getting trapped in it and building up. I will suck out what I can and see if things improve.

Will also trim back on the feeding.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

More
17 Feb 2014 19:16 #9 by alan61979 (Alan)
It cleared up :)

More
01 Mar 2014 10:47 #10 by mars (Gedas)
Replied by mars (Gedas) on topic Cloudy Water
Hi
Would you please let me know what did you use to clear cloudiness in a water (is it was uv steriliser or carbon)?
Cause I have the same issue , but I think problem will be in some ph swings, cause in a nite time it drops down.

More
01 Mar 2014 23:47 - 01 Mar 2014 23:49 #11 by alan61979 (Alan)
I put carbon in the filter and reduced the length of time the lights are on for. I did have lights on for 8 hours, reduced it to 4 hours for a few days. I did a 20% water change and syphoned out any crap I could see (there wasn't much). Water is crystal clear now.

Will increase the photo period up slightly over the new week or so and see what happens.

Less light hasn't had any effect on plant growth. I'd nearly say the plants are even growing faster.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2014 23:49 by alan61979 (Alan).

More
05 Mar 2014 23:01 #12 by mars (Gedas)
Replied by mars (Gedas) on topic Cloudy Water
Thanks for advice, I used uv sterilizer, for 5 days and it actually, helped, did good water changes, didn't cutter light, but dosed less ferts, happy with a results.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds