Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

nitrate level high

More
11 Feb 2014 14:05 #1 by Garreth_OR (Garreth O'Rowe)
Hi,

Nitrate level out of now where flew sky high

Have done plenty of water changes and conditioned the water

Bought NitratEX that you put in filter to reduce Nitrate still not going down , fish are swimming grand and don't seem to have any problems ..... yet

Any Help

G.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2014 16:08 #2 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic nitrate level high
Purigen is another product that takes out nitrates.

Did you test the water before it goes into the tank?

More
11 Feb 2014 16:12 #3 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
What are you testing with?
Test your tap water for nitrates and see if thats contributing

More
11 Feb 2014 18:50 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
JBL NitraEx is a superb product.....if that has not moved the nitrate levels down then it is more likely your test kit (unless, of course, the NitraEx is old exhasuted stock).

So....re-check the testing methodology.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
11 Feb 2014 19:00 - 11 Feb 2014 19:02 #5 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
What food is going into the tank and how often is it going in

My favourite product is jbl micro mec I even use it in my marine tank and and it's at zero

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2014 19:02 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
11 Feb 2014 19:22 #6 by springbok (Pierre)
What's the expiry date on your test kit?

More
11 Feb 2014 19:48 #7 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Sorry to hijack here but I've always had questions about nitrates and wc.
My tap water has 5ppm nitrates, when I do my water change weekly is always at 5 -10 ppm and after that is the same.
Should I use any product like mentioned above?

Am I doing huge water changes for my livestock? I always do a weekly 30% wc and my curent livestock are: 11 galaxy microrasboras, 5 lampeyes, 5 dwarf guppies, 20 shrimps and two snails. 155l water volume
The online calculator tells me I should change about 7% weekly so I'm not sure.

More
11 Feb 2014 22:41 #8 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
hi lydia

Your nitrates are fine and you need nitrates in a planted tank

Your wc is way to much you should aim for 10% for your tank you only need big wc for over stocked tanks and the likes of cichlid tanks

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
11 Feb 2014 23:02 #9 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Aroshni, there are some real problematic myths going around that Nitrates should be best at zero.

Truly zero nitrates is actually quite hazardous to fish life in that there is an increased risk of hydrogen sulphide production under certain conditions.

So aiming for zero nitrates is not what you want.

If you want to know more on this then I'd suggest starting another thread..,..but beware: the answer to this is quite complex ;)

ian

More
12 Feb 2014 10:26 #10 by Garreth_OR (Garreth O'Rowe)
thanks for all help guys ,

going to get new test kit just to be safe think there still in date but

going to reactivate the NitraEX and use again where is the best place to but this in filter ?

Thanks

G.

More
12 Feb 2014 17:25 #11 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Thanks Jeff and Ian for your answers. I'll start changing less water and stop thinking in the 0.0.0

If you want to know more on this then I'd suggest starting another thread..,..but beware: the answer to this is quite complex ;)

Or we can have a pint and talk about fishes at the Horse & Hound one day, anyone interested?

More
12 Feb 2014 17:45 #12 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Thanks Jeff and Ian for your answers. I'll start changing less water and stop thinking in the 0.0.0

Or we can have a pint and talk about fishes at the Horse & Hound one day, anyone interested?

I don't normally venture into pubs, but I was in the Horse & Hound in Cabinteely last Saturday for something to eat (after finding the new Indian restaurant was full).

ian

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds