Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

How do i get warm water for my tank?

More
21 Aug 2014 14:51 #1 by Finn (keelan)
How do i get the water in my tap the same temperature as my aquarium? I have been wondering about this since have recently bought a new tank and Ireland is pritty cold so room temperature is pritty cold :( so hope you can help? :laugh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2014 15:21 #2 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Hi Finn, what most of us do is get a big container (water butt), treat the water with conditioner and then pop in a heater the night before.

Warm treated water ready to go into your aquarium

More
21 Aug 2014 15:32 #3 by Finn (keelan)
Im afraid i dont have a spare heater handy :/

More
21 Aug 2014 17:00 #4 by Wackoo (Niall)
I don't pre-heat my water. I do my water change with airline tubing so it takes about an hour to fill 20ltrs... Water doesn't change temp because it takes so long...

More
21 Aug 2014 17:30 #5 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Boil the kettle and mix it with cold tap water in a bucket

More
21 Aug 2014 17:38 #6 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
I do what gunnered does and have been for three years just treat before adding to the tank. Sometimes I mix between the hot on cold tap depends if there's hot water or if the kettle is taking too long :laugh:

More
21 Aug 2014 18:18 #7 by Finn (keelan)

More
21 Aug 2014 23:37 #8 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I have a 1500w heater for sale, you can drop into a barrel and have your water up to temparure in no time :)

Something fishie going on here

More
22 Aug 2014 15:15 #9 by Homer (Kevin)
I am so used to water changes that I gauge it by mixing cold and hot together and using my finger as a thermometer! Some may argue that it isn't not the right way to do it but I've been doing this for yonks and it works for me, if however, you are in a new house you may need to think twice as copper from a new copper water tank could affect both marines and fresh water invertebrates.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
22 Aug 2014 15:25 #10 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

I am so used to water changes that I gauge it by mixing cold and hot together and using my finger as a thermometer! Some may argue that it isn't not the right way to do it but I've been doing this for yonks and it works for me, if however, you are in a new house you may need to think twice as copper from a new copper water tank could affect both marines and fresh water invertebrates.

Kev.

Kev like a boss

Seriously, I do as they guys mix tap cold water ,almost 10l, with boiling water from a kettle of 1.5l then add the conditioner and mix it with a chopstick and the Tº is almost the same that the one at my tank 24.5ºC.

More
22 Aug 2014 15:26 #11 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Ireland is usually cold,
However!
Doing cold water changes can be fairly beneficial,
Depending on what you keep,
I found that doing a cold water change on a 180ltr tank,
That would be 40 liters out and 40 litres cold (room temperature) or under 19℃
And my corys would always spawn for me
And would trigger angels also.
What size tank have you and what stock is in it?

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
22 Aug 2014 17:42 #12 by ger310 (Ger .)

Ireland is usually cold,
However!
Doing cold water changes can be fairly beneficial,
Depending on what you keep,
I found that doing a cold water change on a 180ltr tank,
That would be 40 liters out and 40 litres cold (room temperature) or under 19℃
And my corys would always spawn for me
And would trigger angels also.
What size tank have you and what stock is in it?

+1 on that Ciaran.......My biggest success when trying to get fish to spawn was when i did cold water changes but as you said it depends on the fish!!

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
22 Aug 2014 17:49 #13 by ger310 (Ger .)
I did the kettle thing for years with no problems aswell........but as i need a lot more 'heated' water nowadays i do the heater in the water butt thing with no problems.......think it kind of depends on the amount of water your changing and the amount of time and patience you have!!

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
22 Aug 2014 18:59 #14 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)

Kev.

Not only invertebrates !
When started i couldnt unnderstand why my fishes died one after another, goldfish, bettas and guppies wouldnt last for more than a month without me knowing why until i joined the forum and someone pointed out to me than copper could be the culprid !
Since then no more water from the hot tap for me, not worth it, nearly made me quit fishkeeping !

Anthony

More
22 Aug 2014 19:55 #15 by davey_c (dave clarke)
When i 1st started keeping fish i heated the water needed for a w/c ( so if i only needed 10-20L thats all i heated, not a barrel full :lol: ) but anyways after a short time i stopped and it never caused me any problems :P ... ah no, fish were fine too :)
I use to do up to 50% changes on some tanks and in fairness if the fresh water goes in at a reasonably slow pace the temp doesnt realy drop i noticed. I came to the conclusion it was an unnessicary use of electricity for us B)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
23 Aug 2014 12:39 #16 by paulv (paul vickers)
Im changing about 350l every month on the big tank, I run it straight from the kitchen tap with a garden Hose, using my hand as a rough guide for temp, usually little hotter than the tank so the 3 300w heaters dont kick in. It already cost me to heat the tap water so why not use it.

More
23 Aug 2014 16:40 #17 by MarkTipp (Mark Ryan)
I have a 240 L tank and do weekly 20L changes.. I just have a 20L drum that I fill as soon as I have emptied it in the tank... This way the water is room temp the following week when I'm doing the water change. Putting the water in at room temp when its only around a 10% of a water change I find it barely changes the temp in the tank at all and sometimes the heater doesnt even come on after I pour it in.

I read before never to use the water from the hot tap so I never do. The temp in my tank is 28 C so if yours was higher it may drop the temp.

More
23 Aug 2014 17:23 #18 by Finn (keelan)
Thanks alot everyone for the quick and helpful relpies :laugh:

More
23 Nov 2014 17:29 - 23 Nov 2014 18:37 #19 by djomla (M T)
I do it the same way, once it is close enough it is fine :)

I'd suggest you get one as soon as possible.... even if you are not using it for heating the water for WC :)

I keep 1 spear heater for each of my tanks... After being in situation while ago... heater stopped working on Sunday night :-)
Last edit: 23 Nov 2014 18:37 by JohnH (John). Reason: Merged two posts

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds