Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fishless Cycle Using Ammonia & SafeStart

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Feb 2007 14:21 #31 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Fishless Cycle Using Ammonia & SafeStart

I think you are saying a test has to be Repeatable and Reliable Sean, in oreder for the results to have any credability or merit in the Scientific realm of things.I agree with you on that one.

Does this mean we have to back up anything we say on this forum with graphs now!!!Damn you Essjay,you have raised the bar.

BORINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone know a site looking for an Admin.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2007 14:44 #32 by essjay (S Jackson)
Kit 1

27/02/2007 20:20

Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 2.0
Nitrate: 5.00
Ph: 7.8
GH: 8.00
Temperature: 27.1c

Kit 2

27/02/2007 20:35

Ammonia: 0.625
Nitrite: 3.3 - 33 (highest test colour on the kit)
Nitrate: 100.00
Ph: 7.8
GH: 8.00
Temperature: 27.2c

More
27 Feb 2007 15:02 #33 by essjay (S Jackson)
Added 100ml Ammonia Solution.

Huge drop in Ammonia over night. Was expecting a drop of about 4ppm to bring it down to 2ppm. Looks like there was a 5.5ppm drop.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Feb 2007 19:20 #34 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Fishless Cycle Using Ammonia & SafeStart
Essjay..
I would stop adding Ammonia now. My post was took up the wrong way and I appologise for it.
Your tank is well ready for some fish. Just do a small w/c before adding the fish. Can you post what fish you have in mind.

More
28 Feb 2007 03:30 #35 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Just make sure ammonia and nitrite are zero before adding fish. A 50% water change is recommened when fishless cycling prior to adding fish.

Regards,

Ken.

More
28 Feb 2007 03:42 #36 by essjay (S Jackson)
Going with some Comps, Julies, Paracyps, Synodontis, and some shellies.

I'm not going to put any fish in until the Nitrites drop a bit more. I'm hoping that should happen around the weekend. And as ksimpson said, I'm going to do a 50% waterchange 'cos I reckon the Nitrates will be huge....

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Feb 2007 04:22 #37 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Fishless Cycle Using Ammonia & SafeStart
Id be very wary putting that amount of expensive fish into a tank unless I knew for sure that there was enough bacteria to handle the new bioload.I would still add filter squeezings before adding new fish/bioload.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Feb 2007 09:40 #38 by Anthony (Anthony)
I did not look properly at your nitrite readings.
I must stop posting when I cone in from the pub. Stop adding them ammomia. When your nitrite drops to 0 do a 50% water change and add a few fish to start off with, nothing special.
Keep us posted on the readings.

More
28 Feb 2007 14:08 #39 by essjay (S Jackson)
Kit 1

28/02/2007 19:46

Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrite: 2.0
Nitrate: 5.00
Ph: 7.9
GH: 9.00
Temperature: 27.0c

Kit 2

28/02/2007 20:03

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 3.3 - 33 (highest test colour on the kit)
Ph: 7.9
Temperature: 27.0c

More
28 Feb 2007 14:15 #40 by essjay (S Jackson)
OK, Ammonia levels now more or less constantly at 0ppm (well over 2 days) and the 100ml of solution is being broken down over night.

I've noticed that the GH is starting to shoot up - gone up 4 degrees in 3 days. Anyone have any input on why this is happening?

Anthony - you suggested to stop adding Ammonia to bring my Nitrites down to zero. Should I not keep adding the Ammonia so that any Nitrites created by the Ammonia are getting broken down overnight rather than stopping now and eventually the Nitrites that are there will get created to Nitrates and give me a false reading of the amount of Nitrite eating bacteria I might think I have? (hope that makes sense).

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Feb 2007 14:44 #41 by Anthony (Anthony)
I would stop adding the ammonia. The bacteria will be fine as long as there is oxygen entering the tank.
Maybe the ammonia source you are using is not a pure source and this is why the gh is going up.

More
01 Mar 2007 05:49 #42 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
You will need an ammonia source to keep your bacteria alive long term. Oxygen alone won't do it. I wouldn't leave the tank for any more than a couple of days without an ammonia source.

With regard to your GH, are you sure there is nothing in your tank causing it to rise - substrate or rock?

If you're not using pure ammonia, they you have problems. Only 100% pure ammonia should be used for fishless cycling.

Regards,

Ken.

More
01 Mar 2007 05:50 #43 by essjay (S Jackson)
must be the rocks and coral sand doing it.....

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Mar 2007 07:05 #44 by Anthony (Anthony)

You will need an ammonia source to keep your bacteria alive long term. Oxygen alone won't do it.

You don`t need to add any more ammonia.
You bacteria wont die. It will probably only take a few days for the nitrites to reach zero. Then you can do a water change and add some fish.
The amounts of Ammonia you were adding would take a lot of fish to produce, not just one of two.
At worse your bacteria would go into a hybernatic(is this a word :lol: ) state.
The reason bacteria survives in the bottles you buy in the shops is because there is no ammonia to kill them.
Ammonia kills bacteria.In small doses and with plentiful oxygen it can be broken down.
Thast what kills your filther if your power goes off, Ammonia and the depletion of oxygen.
The bacteria stops reproducing without a food source and oxygen unless its an anerobic bacteria.

IME I would stop adding the ammonia, wait till the nitrite reaches zero and add some fish.

More
01 Mar 2007 07:52 #45 by KenS (Ken Simpson)

The reason bacteria survives in the bottles you buy in the shops is because there is no ammonia to kill them.

Jaysus Anto, let's not go there again :)

Regards,

Ken.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Mar 2007 08:20 #46 by Anthony (Anthony)

Jaysus Anto, let's not go there again :)

I know :lol: :lol: :lol:
We need another beefheart post. :lol: :lol:

I refuse to get drawn in again. :shock:

More
01 Mar 2007 10:10 #47 by essjay (S Jackson)
Kit 1

01/03/2007 15:35

Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 10.00
Ph: 8.3
Temperature: 26.7c

Kit 2

01/03/2007 16:00

Nitrite: >0.3
Ph: 8.3
Temperature: 26.7

More
01 Mar 2007 10:15 #48 by essjay (S Jackson)
so there we have it! The Nitrite was completely broken down overnight, and the tank is ready for fish. I did add ammonia last night and everything looks good. But, I'm not going to add fish until the weekend, so I'm going to add ammonia again now and tomorrow, Saturday do the water change, test water and maybe add fish Sunday.

Another thing I noticed - the PH has shot up 0.4 overnight while the Nitrite has dropped completely. Is there any relationship between PH and Nitrite? I'm guessing the PH spike might also have something to do with the GH rise over the last few days though.

So if the readings stay consistant until Sunday, it proves that the SafeStart works (in this experiment it does) and that the tank has been completely cycled, from start to finish, in 8 days (using no established media).

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds