Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Rocky. The betta nano

More
08 Feb 2015 22:13 - 08 Feb 2015 22:15 #1 by Lauris (Lauris)
Quick project. Turned up totally unexpected. Due to no one taken it as a quick sale tank for 35eur
I decided to setup a second tank. Said to myself some time ago to not go back to nanos
but could not resist this time with a quick idea of this one. Decided to keep it simple and with minimum maintenance.

So this will be my first low-tech tank with low light and no co2

About setup:
Tank: Fluval Spec 19v (19L)
Light & Filtration: Original
Heating: The one from my shed

about 7KG of Seriyu Rock
about .5kg of ADA and 1kg some cheap natural gravel

Fish: HMPK betta
Inverts: about 7 Horned Nerirte snails

Plants:
Elecharis Aciculris mini & Alternanthera reneckii mini

Ferts: EL Profito
Carbon source: EL EasyCarbo

Water: RO + JBL Aquadur

1st day

2nd day
Elecharis Aciculris mini & Alternanthera reneckii mini

I am planted!
Last edit: 08 Feb 2015 22:15 by Lauris (Lauris).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2015 22:20 #2 by alan 64 (alan)
Looks great keep us posted on the plant progress

More
09 Feb 2015 00:07 #3 by carlowchris (chris)
Looks fantasic...everyone who didnt buy that tank is going to kicking themselves now.....me included

More
09 Feb 2015 10:36 #4 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Amazing setup Lauris, can't wait to see how it develops and the betta :)

Regarding the dwarf grass, I planted a couple of pots and after a week or two it started to melt, I read on other forums that could be caused becase of the dry to water transition, plant was tropica 1-2 grow.

More
09 Feb 2015 12:30 #5 by ger310 (Ger .)
Looks amazing already Lauris,looking forward to seen the progress

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
09 Feb 2015 13:19 #6 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Lydia, the grass yellow at the start as it it s putting all its ressources in establishing the roots, after that you should see it growing and spreading.

Anthony

More
09 Feb 2015 15:44 #7 by Lauris (Lauris)
Thank you all.

Lydia. this is my struggle as well. I know as in fact it happened the same in previous projects with my dwarf graas but not as much as I had a good source of co2. this project runs on EL easycarbo. will see how it goes on.

I am planted!

More
09 Feb 2015 15:55 #8 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Seems to take ages to spread Anthony, it was so green and in a blink so bald :S. Thankfully I planted some montecarlo which is fabulous and have some green in there while the dwarf one thrive.

Lauris have you though in putting some of montecarlo between some rocks?

More
09 Feb 2015 21:13 #9 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)

Seems to take ages to spread Anthony, it was so green and in a blink so bald :S. Thankfully I planted some montecarlo which is fabulous and have some green in there while the dwarf one thrive.

I bought one container of eleocharis sp mini a few years back 4 months later it was covering the whole tank who was 35cmx35cm.It was on amazonia no ferts and co2.It took a few weeks to establish but after that it spreads,i got lazy so didnt plant anything else

Attachments:

More
09 Feb 2015 22:57 #10 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Wow again! How do you get these little tanks to lol so huge?

More
09 Feb 2015 23:44 #11 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Looks amazing already Lauris and nothing has grown....you have some eye for aquascaping....it looks way bigger than 19l too! Can't wait to see how it grows out...

More
10 Feb 2015 00:39 #12 by Lauris (Lauris)

Lauris have you though in putting some of montecarlo between some rocks?

Lydia, not this time. Will try to keep it simple. MonteCarlo is a lovely plant but it will take over and will turn it messy

I am planted!

More
10 Feb 2015 00:42 #13 by Lauris (Lauris)

Wow again! How do you get these little tanks to lol so huge?

thanks.
tip: some basic compositional rules. perspective is the key. especially in nano size tanks. and the size does not matter.lol

I am planted!

More
10 Feb 2015 00:43 - 10 Feb 2015 00:44 #14 by Lauris (Lauris)

Looks amazing already Lauris and nothing has grown....you have some eye for aquascaping....it looks way bigger than 19l too! Can't wait to see how it grows out...

Thanks! I hope the plants will settle in. should be good in few months time. fingers crossed

I am planted!
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 00:44 by Lauris (Lauris).

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds