Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Endler's Livebearers

More
25 Jan 2009 15:58 #31 by endler63 (Paolo Di Paola)
Hi everybody,

I am new of this site and am an italian fishkeeper living in co dublin.

I love livebearers and have had lots of different types over the years but have fallen in love with endlers recently after seeing them in Uk. Finally I managed to get 8 males but haven't had any joy with females. I went to different retailers but couldn't find any females. It seems almost impossible to get them. So much so that I started cross breeding endler males with my female guppies. But I'd like to have endler females to get the pure breed and dedicate a separate tank to the beautiful endlers.
Anyone can help me? Any info or suggestion will be appreciate.

Nice to be with other fishkeepers.

All the best,

Paolo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2009 22:06 #32 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Welcome aboard Paolo, if I have any look with latest brood and some females arrive I will get in touch.
Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
25 Jan 2009 22:50 #33 by killikid (donald carson)
Hi Paolo,Send me your address and i will send you some females,i live in N Ireland, although it is not the best time of year to send fish,i can send a heat pack to keep them warm for 24hrs+.Regards Don

More
26 Jan 2009 01:45 #34 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Hi

Welcome to the site, to save posting fish in the weather, I have a few spare females you can have. Where abouts in Dublin are you?

Daragh

More
26 Jan 2009 16:25 #35 by endler63 (Paolo Di Paola)
Hi Daragh, thanks for your reply and for your offer.

I live in Swords but wouldn't mind to travel anywhere in Dublin to get a few females.

So let me know what is more convenient for you and we'll get organised.

Thanks again,

Paolo

More
26 Jan 2009 16:31 #36 by endler63 (Paolo Di Paola)
Thanks a lot Don for your kind offer.

Let me see if I can get some females here in Dublin first. I don't want you to get into much trouble sending the fish if not necessary. I live in Swords anyway so wouldn't be a big problem for me to travel up north one of these days to get them. I will keep in touch anyway.

Thanks again.

Paolo

More
26 Jan 2009 16:33 #37 by endler63 (Paolo Di Paola)
Thanks Andrew and good luck then!

Regards,

Paolo

More
27 Jan 2009 18:17 #38 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Paolo

PM sent.

Daragh

More
28 Jan 2009 21:02 #39 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
more fry arrived today, true to form another 9 appeared this afternoon

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
28 Jan 2009 22:50 #40 by cardinal (Lar Savage)
Well Lads
down in AV today and I picked up some Endlers ,4 males (amazing colours Lot of Bright Orange in them) at the moment they seem to be following one of my glowlights around,maybe It's an orange thing....:laugh: ,I'm currently setting up another tank and they will be going in there,so I wont be putting any females in for a while don't want a population explosion yet.:) so I may be in touch with some of ye in a couple of weeks for some females.
Lar

More
28 Jan 2009 23:04 #41 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
sure enough Lar. Even as small fry and only a few hours old they show mature characteristics, they are inquisitive - almost seeking out the food, my java moss is taking a hammering at the moment. Anything thats moves gets attention, when the hatch is opened and after a few minutes when food is delivered they swarm to the corner where the current is slow and meet their food there, then it's off seeking food on the tank floor - remarkable ittle guys.

ITFS Club Secretary

More
28 Jan 2009 23:58 #42 by cardinal (Lar Savage)
Cheers Andrew,
what are you feeding them at the moment...?

More
29 Jan 2009 12:19 #43 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
For a bit of variety I'm feeding them some powdered fry food I got off another forum member, some crushed flake and some BBS.

I'm occupying the 3 females and male with thawed (frozen) brine shrimp and flake also.

They all appear to be growing on well, it's startling to see how much bigger the 1 week old fry appear compared to the day old ones.

www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/sept08/endlers-livebearer.htm
I thought this note was handy
Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary

More
24 Feb 2009 12:15 #44 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
hi all

dragging this up,

on my "planted tank fish" thread, the conversation
has gone on to endlers

I have read several articles on endlers being jumpers
and i have an open tank, there are horizontal braces
front and back about an inch down (clearseal tank)
and this is where my water level is, there are two luminaires
overhead about two inches off the rim

LB has 10 and has stated that he has never had a jumper and I believe him,
but I was wondering if there are particular circumstances
where they will jump

the tank will be on a kitchen worktop
and therefore it will be an active busy area
so I'm not sure if they will be spooked by activity
to a level that they would jump

i dont like the idea of getting home in the evening
to dry endlers on the floor!

I suppose its worth mentioning that any fish will try jump
if the water conditions are bad and that could be where
these jumper claims are coming from

i had pretty much settled on rasboras
but really like endlers if they will suit my tank,
i fancy breeding some too,

rgds

More
24 Feb 2009 15:28 #45 by cardinal (Lar Savage)
Hi 4
I currently have 4 male endlers in a community tank and while my tank is covered the covers are often off for plant pruning ect,the endlers
tend to swim in the upper layers of the tank but I've never noticed any jumping activity,saying that the surface of the water is fairly heavily planted with floating plants.

Hope this helps
Lar

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds