Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

charity fish auction 8th of september

More
16 Jun 2013 19:56 #1 by john gannon (John Gannon)
hi guys
just to let you all know the itfs will be holding a charity fish auction on the 8th of September in Rosie o Grady's.

IRISH TROPICAL FISH SOCIETY CLUB MEMBER

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2013 20:11 #2 by JohnH (John)
Any idea yet which charity will be the beneficiary this year? (As on the previous occasion I nominate the JohnH benevolent fund) :evil: :evil: :evil:

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
16 Jun 2013 20:19 #3 by jwm (sean sean)
Good Stuff, are you looking for donations yet or whats the crack, have bits and pieces that would do nicely for auction.

John

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

More
16 Jun 2013 20:41 #4 by JohnH (John)

Good Stuff, are you looking for donations yet or whats the crack, have bits and pieces that would do nicely for auction.

John

John, this will be best left for JohnG to respond to, but thanks for offering so promptly.

JohnH

ITFS member.

More
16 Jun 2013 20:49 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
JohnG just to clear things up before someone asks, is this auction open to the public or just itfs members

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
16 Jun 2013 21:16 #6 by john gannon (John Gannon)
hi guys
we are holding it in aid of the harolds cross hospice again which is a great cause.
There are a few small rules ,the same as the last one.Were trying to locate them. Anybody can auction stuff and 20%of the sale goes directly to the charity.Donations of stuff and fish will be greatly appreciated. There is a small cover charge of €2 which will also go to the charity.
The last one was a great day out and a great success so lets hope to do the same again
john

More
16 Jun 2013 23:18 #7 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
Great idea so can anyone go ?

More
17 Jun 2013 00:09 #8 by JohnH (John)
They sure can Jim, the more the merrier.

John

ITFS member.

More
17 Jun 2013 00:20 - 17 Jun 2013 00:37 #9 by JohnH (John)
Here's a 'copy-and-paste' of Daragh's notification of our previous Charity Auction, modified somewhat to suit this year's one:

ITFS Charity Auction
Sunday September 8th
upstairs @
Rosey O’Gradys Pub
Harolds Cross
Dublin 6

in aid of
“Our Lady's Hospice & Care Services”
Harold's Cross

Information for Everyone

1pm Sellers check-in
2pm Viewing
2.30pm First Auction Session

3pm Late Sellers check-in
3:30pm Second viewing
4pm Second Auction

ITFS takes no responsibility or makes no warranty regarding the condition, suitability or safely of any lot

You are welcome to attend if you are not bringing anything to sell and don’t plan to bid. Entry fee still applies – non refundable

Payment of entry fee confirms acceptance of terms and conditions

No “side transactions”, private sales will be allowed prior to the end of the second session.

Food and drink available at the bar throughout the day

Entry fees and Auction fees

€2 entry fee for current ITFS members OR €3 everyone else
PLUS
€5 deposit required for anyone that is bidding, this is refundable or set against your purchases after the auction

Entries fees + 20% of all sale prices go to charity, 100% of the sale price of any donated items also go to charity

There is NO buyers premium (additional commission seen at most public auctions) or no charges per item entered.

Information for Sellers

Acceptable lots include fish, dry goods, aquatic plants, cultures, books, tanks (up to 24” / 60cm max)

Upon arrival all lots will be checked in and numbered to ensure correct settlement of accounts at the end of the auction.

Ensure any dry goods are in good working order and are clean and dry

Welfare of the fish is our first concern

Label each bag:
1. Your name
2. Common name
3. Species / Sex / Origin if known
4. Single / Pair / Group
5. Reserve Price (if any) – reserve prices are allowed but will be at the discretion of the ITFS officials present

You can email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with your “lots”. This will help ensure an market for you fish. Remember people may travel especially for your lot, so if you post that you will be bringing something; please do to avoid disappointment for others. You do not have to mail you sales lots in advance although it is encouraged.

Ensure fish are bagged correctly with plenty of air space
Double bag
Sandwich bags and zip-loc bags are not acceptable

Sick or heavily gravid fish will not be sold and returned to seller

All unsold lots must be collected by the seller at the end of the auction

Information for Buyers

Buyers will need a paddle with which to bid, there is a €5 refundable deposit required

Payment must be made at the end of each auction session for all purchases. No money will be accepted during the auction process

Minimum starting bid may apply to some lots

Bid increments will be at auctioneers discretion, likely to be 50c under €10 and €1 above €10

Fish will be displayed for viewing, but not available for handling prior to the Auction.

ITFS member.

Last edit: 17 Jun 2013 00:37 by JohnH (John). Reason: Amended

More
17 Jun 2013 00:21 #10 by des (des)
count Me in Guys
I will most definitely donate some nice fish for the cause...

:cool:

Des

More
17 Jun 2013 08:57 #11 by JohnH (John)
JohnG has asked me to post this link to the thread from two years back regarding the first Charity Auction the Club held:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...99295--itfs-auction-

Please refer to the earlier notification (above) for amended date, charges etc though.

Times will need to be slightly altered as well, everything turned into a bit hectic before - but it's still almost three months away so there will be plenty of time to get this alteration done and posted.

John

ITFS member.

More
18 Jun 2013 18:47 #12 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Obviously no hurling fans out there, that's All Ireland Hurling Final day. :-(( :-((

More
19 Jun 2013 20:45 #13 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
who cares about hurling, its a fish auction :)

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
20 Jun 2013 07:57 #14 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)

who cares about hurling, its a fish auction :)

Easy know Limerick wont be there :woohoo: :woohoo: :-(( :evil:

More
20 Jun 2013 19:13 #15 by john gannon (John Gannon)
lads its upstairs in a pub they have a big screen downstairs :woohoo:

More
21 Jun 2013 21:56 #16 by DJK (David Kinsella)
If it's as half as an enjoyable as the last auction it will be brilliant - what a great day.

I have to admire all those involved, they put in a great shift - they know who they are.

Dave

More
22 Jun 2013 09:46 #17 by JohnH (John)

If it's as half as an enjoyable as the last auction it will be brilliant - what a great day.

I have to admire all those involved, they put in a great shift - they know who they are.

Dave

Dave,
It was nice to see you last time, if you're coming along this time I look forward to seeing you there.

John

ps I echo, and agree with, your last statement, they all did sterling work.

ITFS member.

More
30 Jul 2013 14:19 - 30 Jul 2013 14:21 #18 by JohnH (John)
Since it's now little more than a month away until the Charity Auction happens it might be worth pointing out that we all ought to start rummaging around to find things to be bringing along.

I'm sure most of us have aquatic 'bits and pieces' which we no longer have use for - but which could well suit other fishkeepers - I know I must have.

So let's all start having a 'sort-out' and deciding what we'll be bringing to the Auction.

It will add a few bob to our coffers and the sale-commission will help add to the total to be donated to the Hospice. We raised over €1000 the last time, let's try to surpass this figure in 2013.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 30 Jul 2013 14:21 by JohnH (John). Reason: Modification

More
19 Aug 2013 21:01 #19 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Definitely count me in :)

More
21 Aug 2013 21:00 #20 by john gannon (John Gannon)
hi all
as john says little over a month left to go so lets start rummaging for stuff.One mans cast off can be another mans gold.have a look around your tanks or any you may have. Its all for a great cause.
if anybody already has a list of what they are bringing just pop it up and if anybody has a wish list someone else might be willing to auction it
hope to see yous all there
john

More
23 Aug 2013 09:16 - 02 Sep 2013 17:32 #21 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Ok I'll go first
Will be bringing

P. taeniatus "nigeria red" - adults and nearly adult pairs
A. cacatuoides(double, triple red mix) - pairs and probably bag of juvies
peppered corys
sterbai corys
albino corys
golden barbs
bristlenose plecos normal/albino
couple of large angels sorry found new home for them, couple of medium size ones instead
small group of Chilatherina bleheri
boesemani rainbows

microworms and whiteworms starters

Will try to organize some small breeding tanks. The amount depends on my begging skills ;), how much free glass offcuts i can get from the glazier.
They will go 100% charity

Looking for

Corydoras species in particular C. similis, C. sterbai, C. trilineatus
Pelvicachromis species except common kribs and obviously nigeria red :)
Rainbows if someone has anything different than the shops can offer
Also Apistogramma
Last edit: 02 Sep 2013 17:32 by bart (Bart Korfanty).

More
24 Aug 2013 09:23 #22 by JohnH (John)
Good man Bart - any more lists from others?

John

ITFS member.

More
28 Aug 2013 05:54 #23 by john gannon (John Gannon)
Hi all
Just one note that needs to be mentioned is setting reserves,although this can be done please don't set them too high as it seems to put people off
Thanks
John

More
31 Aug 2013 10:06 #24 by JohnH (John)
Just a shameless jog to remind everyone that the Charity Auction is now only a week away (well, eight days, really) and that we all should be sorting out which stuff (and fish) we will be bringing next Sunday.
As has been said previously it would be handy for the organisers to have advance warning of what - and how many - lots there will be offered for auction, so please do send a PM to John Gannon, Andrew or even - like Bart has so admirably done - post on this thread.

John

ITFS member.

More
31 Aug 2013 11:01 - 02 Sep 2013 17:31 #25 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
I'm flying in to Dublin from abroad on the day, but I should be on time unless my flight gets delayed.

Bristlenose, common, juveniles
Bristlenose, red&black calico, juveniles
Corydoras panda, juveniles
6 T-shirts (6 lots)

I don't know the exact amount of fish now but I'll update this post.

Update:
Bagged everything up today, I could not catch as many pandas as I wanted but on the plus side found a colony of Assassin Snails.

1 lot; 10 juvenile Corydoras panda,
2 lots; 5 juvenile common Ancistrs x2
2 lots; 5 juvenile "red&black calico" Ancistrus x2
4 lots; 10 Assassin Snails x 4
6 lots; t-shirt x6

Andreas
Last edit: 02 Sep 2013 17:31 by Melander (Andreas Melander). Reason: updated list

More
02 Sep 2013 09:36 #26 by JohnH (John)
We now have two definites - hopefully Andreas' flight will be on time.

Any more additions?

John

ITFS member.

More
02 Sep 2013 17:58 - 02 Sep 2013 17:58 #27 by des (des)
I won't be able to make it along but I am making arrangements with another forum member to bring along My contributions, I'm not sure what fish yet...
pity I can't make it, couldn't make the last one either :-(
I'm sure it will be a cool day and for a great cause

Des
Last edit: 02 Sep 2013 17:58 by des (des).

More
03 Sep 2013 22:50 #28 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Remember this guy?

Well he will be on duty again on Sunday. And no, despite popular belief I have not been lost to the dark side, I am still alive and well and looking forward to Sunday, hopefully it will be as much fun as last year with as much money raised for charity.

The family of Fred Mullen RIP have kindly donated Fred's books and a tank I think, I will be collecting them later in the week. I am also including a large number of books, some never opened! So there will definitely be some good reading material available. And as I am no longer keeping Marines there should be some marine related stuff too. I have a large amount of live rock - which I won't be bring :-) But watch the for sale section in the next week or so if you are interested.

Looking forward to Sunday.

Daragh

More
04 Sep 2013 13:10 #29 by JohnH (John)
Blimey - who rattled your cage???

Nice to see your return to the Forum. Tell the lad in the video clip I'll see him Sunday (lamp posts permitting).

John

ITFS member.

More
04 Sep 2013 21:47 #30 by john gannon (John Gannon)
Hi all

I will be bringing two pairs of clown fish one occelatus and gold band maroons I will also be bringing books and other stuff
I would like to try get some adult Dubosi and maybe some young discus
Any one else got anything or going to attend
John

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds