Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New aquascaping tank

More
28 Feb 2008 01:09 #31 by Cillian (Cillian Murphy)
Can you please PM me the details of the Rena Filter Price etc.. I am possibly getting a new tank in a week or two and am just making a list of what i need to see if i can afford it.
Thanks in advance.
Cillian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2008 11:49 #32 by joemc (joe mc)
Hello Darragh,
i have just been reading this post and decided to throw in my comments,
re; the under soil heating cables
these are used in the horticultural industry mainly to speed up root growth / developement in plant propagation, they are not used to increase the plant nutrient uptake. they are used to heat up what would otherwise be a cold substrate this would not be a problem in a tank of water. i know that people have recomended them for aquariums but i don't belive this was fully thought through.
re sand / substrate / compaction
the depths of substrate you are talking about should pose no compaction problems, active root growth through the medium will prevent this.
sand will be the only possible source of any compaction as it gradualy sifts through the more open mediums this can be addressed by isolating the sand within your layout,i.e using your rock,wood or other decoration to keep the majority of the sand from spreading into other areas.
hope this is of some assistance in you coming to your final design.
regards
joe mc

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
29 Feb 2008 03:59 #33 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi Darragh,
Just thought i'd throw in my 2 cent worth, i currently use tetra substrate in 2 of my tanks as an experiment, one is just substrate, one just co2 injected and the third is substrate and co2, being honest the plants grow fantastically well in just the substrate alone or just with co2 by itself thing but the best results i've found is using both the plant growth is phenominal, i use the tetra co2 cannisters with the diffuser that came with it its a spray option each fill of the diffuser lasts approx 4 hrs. i find this handy as you dont have to worry about too much co2 in the tank at night and a lack of o2 due to it. i must admit i'm not religious about my sprays of co2 but the plants definately benefit from it and with the cannisters of co2 selling at €10 approx each it a cheap but good option for approx 1 months supply.
Dont know if this will help but hey i tried, oh yes may sound stupid to say this but don't forget to take dead leaves off plants and trim the roots to encourage new growth when planting
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
29 Feb 2008 15:58 #34 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
joemc wrote:

sand will be the only possible source of any compaction as it gradualy sifts through the more open mediums this can be addressed by isolating the sand within your layout,i.e using your rock,wood or other decoration to keep the majority of the sand from spreading into other areas.
hope this is of some assistance in you coming to your final design.
regards
joe mc

I am only going to only be using a small amount of sand for visual purposes only, no plants will be planted in the sand.

sheag35 wrote:

Just thought i'd throw in my 2 cent worth, i currently use tetra substrate in 2 of my tanks as an experiment, one is just substrate, one just co2 injected and the third is substrate and co2, being honest the plants grow fantastically well in just the substrate alone or just with co2 by itself thing but the best results i've found is using both the plant growth is phenominal, i use the tetra co2 cannisters with the diffuser that came with it its a spray option each fill of the diffuser lasts approx 4 hrs. i find this handy as you dont have to worry about too much co2 in the tank at night and a lack of o2 due to it. i must admit i'm not religious about my sprays of co2 but the plants definately benefit from it and with the cannisters of co2 selling at €10 approx each it a cheap but good option for approx 1 months supply.

I will be using CO2, I originally intended to go down the DIY CO2 route based on Cardnim's article but I have a very active cat that is always knocking into stuff and I'd fear that the solutions would end up being knocked all over the floor or even worse into the tank.
I am going to use a CO2 fire extinguisher to provide CO2 as these are the cheapest option, a 5kg cylinder should last me at least a year if not 2-3years

Dont know if this will help but hey i tried, oh yes may sound stupid to say this but don't forget to take dead leaves off plants and trim the roots to encourage new growth when planting

I always trim my plants when doing a water change in current tank, if I didn't my amazon sword and roseafolia would consume the tank :cheer:

More
03 Mar 2008 16:18 #35 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
I have a few questions on fertilizers, I have Tropica N and P liquid and I have ordered the dry chemicals for the PPS-Pro method as mentioned here .
Can the solutions be mixed and stored for several weeks or do they need to be mixed the night before?
Should I be using other fertilizers with the PPS-Pro ferts?

With testing the water column, what should I be testing for outside of the normal range of pH, NH3, NO2, NO3? I will be using a drop checker with 4dKH solution to measure CO2 rates.

Thanks
Darragh

More
03 Mar 2008 19:56 #36 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
darragh wrote:

I have a few questions on fertilizers, I have Tropica N and P liquid and I have ordered the dry chemicals for the PPS-Pro method as mentioned here .
Can the solutions be mixed and stored for several weeks or do they need to be mixed the night before?
Should I be using other fertilizers with the PPS-Pro ferts?

With testing the water column, what should I be testing for outside of the normal range of pH, NH3, NO2, NO3? I will be using a drop checker with 4dKH solution to measure CO2 rates.

Thanks
Darragh

The Macro ferts can be stored for months. Use the PPS-Pro calculator located here to mix macro ferts in 250ml, 500ml or 1 liter bottles. The micro ferts do grow mould but I add a drop of Methylene blue to stop this. No need to add other ferts to PPS-Pro. No need for testing of water as the nutrient added to the aquarium is very small. All you need to know is here . I use a 3dkh solution to measure co2 levels as you only need around 20ppm of CO2.

More
03 Mar 2008 20:13 #37 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
ted,

Did you make your own 3dKh solution? If so how did you make it and can it be made for 4dKh and 5dKH?

Thank
Darragh

More
03 Mar 2008 20:35 #38 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
darragh wrote:

ted,

Did you make your own 3dKh solution? If so how did you make it and can it be made for 4dKh and 5dKH?

Thank
Darragh

I bought a solution of 4dkh. I mixed 3parts of 4dkh with 1part distilled water. The drop checker reads green at 20ppm or there abouts.

More
10 Mar 2008 11:09 #39 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
An update of my current progress:

I have completely covered the inner hood with reflectors and have removed the T8 light unit.
I added a 36W T5 Triplus and a 36W T5 Daylight and I smashed my original 24W T5 Triplus when it knocked against the braces. I have ordered another 24W Triplus and a 24W Daylight. This will give me up to 120W of light which is about 4 Watts per gallon.

I have assembled my fire extinguisher CO2 system and have it operating at 1 bubble per second on my community tank. It has a solenoid shutoff valve for night time.
I got my ingredients for the PPS-Pro mix and bought an accurate to 1 gram weighing scales and 2 sealable jugs from Homestore and More on the Belgard Road for mixing and holding the macro and micro mixtures.

I also got 5x 24hour segment timers for the lights and solenoid valve and 2x 6-way 2m extension leads for the electrics from B+Q.

I still can't find obsidian rock and I make have to change my focal point item.
Red lava rock might look good with these reed type plants.

Darragh

More
10 Mar 2008 23:43 #40 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Thats a nice amount of light Darragh B) . I'm looking forward to seeing this tank up and running. Any news on getting your stock yet?

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
11 Mar 2008 00:11 #41 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
tanks_alot wrote:

Thats a nice amount of light Darragh B) .

Yipe, it gives me flexibilty to try different lighting strategies.

I'm looking forward to seeing this tank up and running. Any news on getting your stock yet?

No word yet, but I'm off for a few days holidays and I don't have all the equipment yet like the lily pipes, drop checkers, diffusors, etc so I don't mind at the moment, but hopefully they should be here in time for Easter weekend which will give me loads of time to prepare and setup the tank

I'll post up photos soon

Thanks
Darragh.

More
19 Mar 2008 09:32 #42 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Just working out what my target water parameters should be:
For Plants
[code:1]
Min Temp Max Temp Min dH Max dH Min pH Max pH
Bacopa australis 15 32 1 30 6 8
Cyperus Helferi 20 30 1 20 5 7.5
Heminanthus Callitrichoides 18 28 1 20 5 7.5
Lilaeopsis mauritiana 15 28 1 30 5.5 8
Microsorum pteropus Narrow 18 30 1 30 5 8
Utricularia graminifolia 16 28 4 20 6 7.5

Overall 20 28 4 20 6 7.5
[/code:1]

For Fish
[code:1]
Boraras maculatus 24 26 5 12 5 6.5
Caridina cf. cantonensis 22 25 5 12 6.2 7.2
Otocinclus 20 25 2 25 6.5 7.8

Overall 24 25 5 12 6.5 6.5
[/code:1]

My target water parameters should be:
Min Temperature 24°C
Max Temp 25°C
Min Hardness 5 dH
Max Hardness 12 dH
Min pH 6.5 pH
Max pH 6.5 ph

More
19 Mar 2008 14:29 - 19 Mar 2008 14:30 #43 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
This is my current layout design

FP = Focal Point
CH = Cyperus Helfrei
BA = Bacopa austruilus
HC = Hemianthus callitrichoides
LM = Lilaeopsis Mauritana
MP = Microsum Pteropus
UG = Utriculara graminfola

The theme of the layout will be ¨Mountain Path¨, the path will be formed with sand in an S shape bring the path from the foreground up the ¨Mountain¨ to the focal point object.

I am using 4 compositional elements, to bring the viewer to the same point each time, the elements are:
  1. Golden mean - focal point is golden mean line (rule of thirds)
  2. Leading line/S-Curve - Path to mountain top
  3. Right-sided composition - Mountain on right side of tank
  4. Negative space - left side only has carpet

Thoughts, ideas , suggestions ?

Darragh
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Mar 2008 14:30 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin).

More
22 Mar 2008 01:05 #44 by zig (zig)
Replied by zig (zig) on topic Re:New aquascaping tank
Military style planning here Darragh:P

More
22 Mar 2008 01:46 #45 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Dying to see a real photo, better still a photo each week as the plants develop. Looking great, so far.

More
25 Mar 2008 10:15 #46 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
zig wrote:

Military style planning here Darragh :P

Military style planning because I am military style bored looking at a glass box :angry: , but I got a really beautiful piece of rock off Gavin in Wackers at the weekend, so I can make a start on my hardscape and throw out my original plan because the rock needs a left sided composition.

I should have a photo of my hardscape up in the next day or 2

Darragh

More
25 Mar 2008 14:03 #47 by zig (zig)
I heard about that rock darragh, word gets around;) I came in soon after you and bought the rest, all of them:lol: but I believe you nabbed the best one though, little fecker:laugh:

Waiting for delivery myself Darragh, although I only need a couple of things which I hope come in:huh:

Look forward to seeing this specimen rock, I believe its big.

darragh wrote:

zig wrote:

Military style planning here Darragh :P

Military style planning because I am military style bored looking at a glass box :angry: , but I got a really beautiful piece of rock off Gavin in Wackers at the weekend, so I can make a start on my hardscape and throw out my original plan because the rock needs a left sided composition.

I should have a photo of my hardscape up in the next day or 2

Darragh

More
25 Mar 2008 16:49 #48 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Plants never arrived today. Looks like it's another wait.
The rock you are talking about is it dragon rock? If so there was a box of it out the back that i rummaged through a couple of weeks ago ;) . The lads never put it out in the shop. If it is, it sounds like Darragh got the tall L shaped piece. Nice piece for a large tank.

More
25 Mar 2008 18:49 #49 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
If you are looking for Tropica plants that have some really nice ones in Dun Laoghaire at the moment (well they did on sunday), I got some massive pots of tenellus to replace the ones that dies in my tank. If you need them ASAP you should give them a bell during the day and ask the owner what he has left in stock.

More
27 Mar 2008 17:29 - 03 Apr 2008 15:57 #50 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)

This is my hardscape and substrate so far, I've alter my sand \"path\" as a \"mountain\" wouldn't fit in the tank.
With the hardscape almost complete, I think I have a clear image of what I want from this tank.
I've a few more shoots of the substrate and the hood which I'll put up later

Darragh
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Apr 2008 15:57 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin).

More
27 Mar 2008 17:52 #51 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Excellent stuff. It that \"the rock\", looking forward to seeing the next couple of snaps.

More
27 Mar 2008 18:24 #52 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Looking good, excellent looking rock. Is that the only rock that will be in the display or should the \"centre\" piece?

More
29 Mar 2008 00:56 #53 by zig (zig)
Looks good Darragh, good hardscape material is hard to come by. I definitely would have nabbed that rock:laugh:

The rocks I picked up that day are totally different then that one though, I wonder what Darren got? he probably got the pick of the whole lot!

More
31 Mar 2008 17:50 #54 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Nice piece of rock. If i had seen that i would have nabbed it.
The rock i got was dragon rock. It was a box that was buried out the back.
It was just by chance i was asking the owner and he remembered seen a box out the back of the shop.

Darren.

More
03 Apr 2008 14:27 #55 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
That rock will form my center piece, I might put a number of smaller rocks around 2-3cm in diameter to compliment it but I don't want the layout to get to complex. I'd like to keep it simple.
I've a few shots, mostly of adding the substrate that I'll put up this evening.

Darragh

More
03 Apr 2008 15:26 #56 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I would think that rocks of 2-3cm diameter would be swallowed up by nearly all types of vegetation (even the very low growing varieties). Unless they are going to be in an unplanted area of the tank then I would leave them out. Looking forward to seeing the snaps.

More
03 Apr 2008 22:42 - 03 Apr 2008 22:53 #57 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)

This is the first layer of Aqua Grit going down.
As you can see I have placed a ruler in it to measure the depth of the layers.
The first layer will be used to structure the overall shape of the substrate.
For the first layer, I put down 1cm depth of Aqua grit at the front, rising up to 4-5cm where my centre piece will be placed and gradually sloping towards the back of the tank

The next layer to go down, is a 1cm layer of plant substrate, I am using the Tropica substrate.

Finally, I covered the Tropica substrate with 3-4cm depth of Aqua Grit.
I dug out a trench for the path, I am using an inert sand for this.
I poured in the sand and placed in the piece of rock.
I covered around the base of the rock with a bit more Aqua Grit, so that the rock looks like it is coming out of the substrate, rather than placed on top of it.

There was several hours spent wiring up the lights, this is wiring in the hood for the five bulbs

This is all 5 bulbs totalling 144 watts

This is the tank as it stands at the moment
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Apr 2008 22:53 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin).

More
04 Apr 2008 00:35 #58 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)

:blink: :blink: :woohoo: :woohoo: I love it! More Light More light,

So that's 144 watts for 100l, that's 22 UK gallons which makes it roughly 6.2 watts per gallon. Then, when you take into account the displacement of water by the substrate and rock you are looking at the bones of 7 watts per gallon!!!! I am in AWE!

However and although I am always appreciative of over engineering, at the moment I am having a problem trying to get enough co2 into the tank for 4.6 watts per gallon. Have you thought about putting in an in-line co2 diffuser with your external filter. It might be an easier way of getting sufficient co2 into the water?

More
04 Apr 2008 08:12 #59 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
tanks_alot wrote:

However and although I am always appreciative of over engineering, at the moment I am having a problem trying to get enough co2 into the tank for 4.6 watts per gallon. Have you thought about putting in an in-line co2 diffuser with your external filter. It might be an easier way of getting sufficient co2 into the water?

Denis,

I reckon with this tank being 44cm tall, there will be significant fall off in light, compared to a 30cm tank for which 4W per gallon would be considered high light.
Do you have access to a light meter? It would be good to see what reading you get and see if I get a similar result with my tank.

I am using Pollen glass CO2 diffusers, the diffuser will sit below the heater which is the filter intake, so the CO2 will be taken up the heater and into the filter, this should diffuser the CO2 pretty well.

Darragh

More
07 Apr 2008 08:04 #60 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Hi,

Finally got a few plants on Friday, so I made a start on the tank.
This is a shot of it this morning taken with a cameraphone

Darragh

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds