Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New aquascaping tank

More
07 Apr 2008 08:46 #61 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
beginning to look good love the rockwork, keep us posted

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2008 20:15 #62 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
looking good!

Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
07 Apr 2008 21:41 #63 by Avonmore (Pat Cullen)
Looking great, seriously impressive !!! Great post, keep it coming
Pat

More
07 Apr 2008 22:19 #64 by zig (zig)
Replied by zig (zig) on topic Re:New aquascaping tank
It seems quite a lot of light Darragh especially versus the relatively little plant mass you have there atm, I would keep the full blast, all lights on period short until some growth starts to kick in. Im not sure how your lights are configured but I would not use them all on for the full light period, maybe use all the lights for 4-5 hours max, and then maybe knock off two of them for the remaining light period duration and just run 3 lights, thats what I would do anyway until things settle in a bit.

Make sure the CO2 is good, and that the bubbles are being distributed around the tank evenly from the diffuser, if thats good it will solve most of the initial algae problems. Also if you are using a solenoid make sure to run the CO2 at least 2-3 hours before lights on to ensure enough CO2 is in the water column, if in doubt dose some Easy carbo daily to make up for lack of CO2.

More
08 Apr 2008 17:34 #65 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Here is a few more images of preparing the plants and the finished tank
Preparing the plants

Splitting up the plants

The tank after planting and adding water

HC oxygenating

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Apr 2008 08:51 #66 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:New aquascaping tank
Hi Darragh,

How is your planted tank getting on? Can you already see some growth on the plants or does it take a few weeks to be noticeable ?

Valerie

More
16 Apr 2008 09:38 #67 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
I am currently battling the algae fairies, I have hair algae and diatom blooms.
The diatom blooms are coming under controller, but I haven't been keeping up the water changes enough.
I have also done a number of foolish things like leaving lights running for a full 24 hours, forgot to dose ferts 1 or 2 days, etc but it is recoverable.
My HC seems to be taking root, but it will be a few more weeks before I say if it will work out

Regards
Darragh

More
11 May 2008 02:39 #68 by joemc (joe mc)
hi daragh,
how's the planted tank comming along? any updates on this thread?
regards
joe mc

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
12 May 2008 08:58 #69 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Hi Joe

Nothing is going well for me at the moment. I am constantly fighting algae and I only realized why yesterday.
I was pumping too much CO2 into the tank and the cylinder emptied.
My lessons so far are:-
Water changes really need to be done every 2 days for the first few weeks
Don't need full light while there is a small amount of biomass
Check the CO2 gauges daily.

My plants are barely limping along and it is looking like I will have to start all over again if I don't get it under control soon

Darragh

More
12 May 2008 22:38 #70 by joemc (joe mc)
Hi Daragh,
keep the chin up if you don't try you achieve nothing!
can i suggest a new route?
tell me to go away if you like!

scrap the plants
leave off the co2
for that size tank replace the plants with the following
12 A. siamensis
10-15 strands of green cabomba
6-7 large common amazon swords
10 pieces of Hygrophila difformis
3-4 giant vallis
a couple of dozen mixed crypts (make sure they were grown emersed)
a couple of specimen plants like
Aponogeton bolivinanus and tiger lotus lily
don't feed for the first month untill you see growth slowing down as the nutrients in the substrate start to dry up
and put your lights on for 5 hours in the morning a break of 4-5 hours and then another 5 hours in the evening
if your water is showing no2 or no3 throw a sachet of Nitra-Zorb into the filter
don't aerate the tank
put in a shoal of 1-2 inch tetras
and hey presto get your pruning sissors out!!!!

or you could try one or two bits of the above hopefully something above will help
Rock on old school planted tanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards
joe mc

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
12 May 2008 22:55 #71 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Daragh you have invested to much time etc. to give up on this tank. I think everyone gets there visit from the algae monster at some stage.
Every thing you mention i have done at some stage or another. Even emptying Co2 cylinders into tanks. These things are little lessons, that's all.
If it was me i would do plenty of water changes and remove as much algae by hand as possible. Once the algae clears (and it will) you can reduce the water changes.

More
21 May 2008 10:14 #72 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Darren,

Thanks for the encouragement.
I am going to wait for the algae to clear up before continuing any further with the tank.
I might put in some amazon sword temporarily from my community tank to build up some biomass.

I've come close to thinking about stripping it down and turning it into a community tank and working on a 60 litre tank instead but I have invested too much into this tank to let it slip away.

Darragh

More
22 May 2008 15:50 - 22 May 2008 15:54 #73 by zig (zig)
aye, sure no point in giving up Darragh even the old hands at this game can still have problems.

This is my 2008 ADA competition entry a couple of weeks ago.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

all good now though;)
Last edit: 22 May 2008 15:54 by zig (zig). Reason: because im a muppet

More
22 May 2008 15:55 #74 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Peter,

Snap, that's what my tank currently looks like. :lol:
Hopefully it will cycle soon

Darragh

More
22 May 2008 21:58 - 22 May 2008 22:03 #75 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Last edit: 22 May 2008 22:03 by platty252 (Darren Dalton).

More
22 May 2008 22:00 #76 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Darragh i can give you a bucket full of Hygrophila guianensis. This is verry fast growing and will suck up those excess nutrients.

Zig did you figure out what causes this powdery algae? I am having a small belt of it myself at the moment. Just a light film on the glass and i have no spare Otto's to suck it up.

More
23 May 2008 13:21 #77 by zig (zig)
Darren the powdery algae is green dust algae or GDA, its pretty common in new setups. I find I normally get it on mature tanks if I use too much light over a tank. Usually removing a light tube or reducing the light period cures it pretty easily, so if I see it showing up I sort of use it an an indicator of the max light threshold over a given tank FOR THE AMOUNT OF FERTS THAT I AM ADDING and just reduce the light period. Its all about the balance I believe, light, CO2, amount of ferts you are adding etc.

In this case though it was probably a small ammonia spike in this tank, nothing to do with the amount of light or ferts, I introduced 3 ottos into this tank (new tank)and 3 days later, full blown outbreak of GDA, this is probably the worst algae I have had in a couple of years, definitely the worst case of GDA I have ever had. Im running this tank (100 litres) with a new Eheim 2213 filter so before I introduced the fish I took 2 large sponges from a mature cycled Eheim 2215 filter and put them in the new filter and then introduced the fish to the tank, the fish were fine no problems there, so Im putting it down to that event basically, before that the tank had been running fine for about 3 weeks with no fish and no algae, so obviously not enough bacteria in the tank or filter to cope with the introduction of the fish.

Here's an excert from an algae guide which I think is pretty good.

Description (of the algae)
Forms on the glass creating a dusty appearance across the glass. Sometimes so bad you can't see into the tank.

Cause
Low CO2. Low nutrients. Quite common on new setups.

Removal
Easily removed with a magnetic glass scraper or similar (Personally I wouldnt do this just leave it because it comes back) Often reappears very quickly. Allow the algae to run its full cycle by leaving it well alone for 3 weeks. It may become unsightly but just bear with it. Then scrape it all off and do a large water change. Sometimes requires a second treatment to fully clear and leaving it for 4 weeks. Recommended to slightly reduce dosing during treatment.

Anyway alls well now, its probably one of the easiest algaes to deal with, just looks crap for weeks though.

More
28 May 2008 20:25 #78 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
When the green dust algae started i increased the Co2 for a couple of days to see if this was the problem. The growth seemed to be the same. Then i reduced the fert, again no obvious signs of more/less growth. Then reduced light. Same result.
It is nowhere near as bad as your smile photo so i will let it run it's course.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds