Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Midori, community tank vision 180l

More
08 Jan 2014 23:12 - 05 Jun 2014 10:17 #1 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Hi guys/girls

This is how it started www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...on-my-first-aquarium
(didn't want to double post same pics)

And now I can post a decent view of my tank, went again to seahorse yesterday and came back with some plants and a school of small galaxy rasboras and an assassin snail.
Didn't have any layout planned, just bought the plants I like and add them following my instinct, but I'm not very creative :S

Tank
- Juwel Vision 180
- Internal Juwel Filter
- Lights T8 25W x 2
- Heater 2 x 100W

What I used
- 5 k john innes nº3 sustrate
- + or - 15k manado
- 4 pieces of bogwood
- 6 driftwood fossil stones
- Some river stones

Plants

- 2 x Java Moss
- 1 x Microsorum pteropus
- 1 x Heteranthera zosterifolia
- 1 x Althernanthera Reineckii 'Rot' -> this one has been there for a month with Temps of 28ºC (had an issue with the heater) and has been trimmed twice.
- 1 x Micranthemum umbrosum
- 1 x Althernanthera reineckii 'Bronze'
- 2 x Eleocharis acicularis
- 1 x Anubias barteri nanas 'petit'
- 1 x Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
- 1 x Crinum calamistratum
- 1 x Staurogyne repens 1-2 grow

Livestock

- 3 normans lampeye
- 9 galaxy rasboras
- 1 young L-144
- 2 baby L-144
- 4 juvenile sterbai corys
- 3 tylomelania orange rabbit
- 1 tylomelania black rabbit
- 1 baby tylomelania black rabbit
- lampeye or galaxy fry
- a bunch of MTS
- 10 rasbora kubotai
- 2 amano shrimp

Have to thank Abdarudeone for the MTS (breeding like rabbits), anglecichlid for the cory's (they're so funny to watch) and thanks a lot to Homer for L-144, galaxies, tylomelania and helpful advices. :cool:

Maintenance
- About 20% WC weekly and syphoning
- Some trimming
- Dossing 3ml of Easy Carbo daily
- Dossing 15 ml of Profito weekly

P.S: Thanks to Jay and Darren for your patience with my english and for your advises, the piece of hose worked perfectly. Was nice to meet you Darren.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2014 10:17 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2014 23:44 - 09 Jan 2014 08:44 #2 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Looks nice. Maybe some small plants in the foreground. But looks great. Looking forward to more posts
Last edit: 09 Jan 2014 08:44 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding).

More
09 Jan 2014 00:11 - 09 Jan 2014 00:13 #3 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Thanks Esoxluciouss

I'm waiting for 4 pots of this one and planning to add one Staurogyne repens, the moss I posted on the other topic and one of this and one riccia fluitans for the tree.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2014 00:13 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
09 Jan 2014 13:49 #4 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Wow Lydia, great job! Looks the business....what fish are you going to add? Next time you are trimming the - 1 x Althernanthera Reineckii I wouldn't mind the cuts....hard to find plants that thrive in my discus tank which I keep at 28c....cheers. Brian

More
09 Jan 2014 17:29 #5 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Hey looks great!! Complete difference from when I seen it first!!
Well done!

S

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
09 Jan 2014 18:16 #6 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Sure Brian, next time I trim it I'll save some stems for you. Is a beautiful plant and very easy to maintain, and grows fast.
I want to add some lampeyes and some neon or cardinal tetra. And shrimps. Will have nano fishes mainly.

Stem now seems more live!

Thanks both for your comments :)

More
11 Jan 2014 22:03 #7 by zabol001 (Marcin)
Nice start.
How strong lights do you have?
Try to get co2 becouse easy carbo want replace it.
Profito ok but plants need Nitrate (NO3) Potassium (K) Phosphate (PO4)
This is very good article.
www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=dosing-with-dry-salts

More
11 Jan 2014 22:54 #8 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Hi zabol001

I have 2x T8 JBL natur and my living room has a lot of natural light all the day.
What do you mean with the easy carbo?

I'll have a look at your link, thanks.

More
12 Jan 2014 03:22 #9 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)

Thanks to Jay and Darren for your patience with my english and for your advises, the piece of hose worked perfectly. Was nice to meet you Darren :cool:

pleaser meeting you to Lidia. Your English is fine. It's my hearing that's not great.

Your tank is looking well. You must let me know how you get on with that (new to me) moss.

More
More
15 Jan 2014 16:32 #11 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
delighted u got the shrimp.. i will be interested how things go for you.. what else is in there with them... Need more plants..

More
17 Jan 2014 01:32 #12 by zabol001 (Marcin)

Hi zabol001

I have 2x T8 JBL natur and my living room has a lot of natural light all the day.
What do you mean with the easy carbo?

I'll have a look at your link, thanks.

Hi
Easy carbo can not replace co2 fed from a bottle.
It helps only absorb carbon dioxide by plants and help with some algae problem. I can be wrong but this is not just my opinion.
You have 2xt8 but they can be 2x 15,19,30 or 39 W. Natural light is very tricky, can cost lot of algae.
When you read my link you will find out more. More lights you need but if you have stronger lights need some co2 setup.

More
17 Jan 2014 12:52 #13 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Got 2x 25W solar natur, bought them because the guy from the lfs told me it was better.

More
17 Jan 2014 17:19 #14 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Nice one love the shrimps!! Cant wait to see how they get on :)

S.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
17 Jan 2014 17:20 #15 by zabol001 (Marcin)
they are good but i mean 50W lights in 180l tank give you 0,3 W per litre witch is not much for plants.
Your plants will need more.

More
17 Jan 2014 19:18 #16 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Nice one Aroshni.
Dont worry too much about CO2 there are plenty of plants you can grow in a low tech tank.
You will have to watch out the temperature for your crs, they do best in the low twentys.
You do have a good eye for design, the two pieces of wood in the middle look nice together.

Anthony

More
17 Jan 2014 23:24 #17 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Thanks Anthony, the red crystals are so active and funny, love observing them. They love the wooden piece of the middle, once the the moss grow bigger would be even better.
The temp of the tank goes from 24 to 24.5 C .
The plants I have are doing really well, beautiful colors and growing, some of them grow very fast, so for now I think I will keep the easycarbo + profito formula.

More
18 Jan 2014 21:41 #18 by zabol001 (Marcin)

More
18 Jan 2014 21:53 #19 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

Do not try to be clever but just trying to help.

I don't understand the sense of this sentence...but I wasn't meaning to offend to anyone, I do appreciate your help it's just seems complicated for me atm adding a CO2 sys (maybe in future I add the CO2) and/or adding chemicals for the plants which I don't know can damage my shrimps/fishes.

More
20 Jan 2014 16:02 #20 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Added a couple of sulawesi orange rabbit snails and 5 dwarf guppies. All of them are beautiful, didn't know about this guppies but when I saw them at seahorse I got impressed.

Will post photos of the guppies soon.

More
25 Jan 2014 20:07 - 25 Jan 2014 20:09 #21 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Added some plants, some of them courtesy of Inza, merci beaucoup!

4 x utricularia graminifolia
1 x Hygrophila polysperma
1 x Hydrocotyle tripartita
1 x staurogyne repens 1-2 grow
1 x Bacopa Caroliniana
1 x fissidens fontanus
1 x Limnophila aromatica
1 x unkown

Darren the Heteranthera zosterifolia once it is settled is really wonderful :cool:
Last edit: 25 Jan 2014 20:09 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
01 Feb 2014 22:31 #22 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Lydia you've come along way since we met that tank looks great keep up the good work ;)

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
01 Feb 2014 23:33 #23 by Inza (philippe launois)
Very nice Lydia, glad I could help !

More
02 Feb 2014 10:20 #24 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
It looks great well done

More
02 Feb 2014 21:39 #25 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Thanks guys, I tried to put it i the best way I could.
Let's see how it goes in some months...when I have to move to another house will be when the tank will be really pretty :silly:

More
03 Feb 2014 21:27 - 03 Feb 2014 21:31 #26 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
After 3 weeks with my shrimps one of my yellows got eggs, she is huge!

Last edit: 03 Feb 2014 21:31 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
03 Feb 2014 21:42 #27 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Well done, that was quick.. looking forward to updates

More
03 Feb 2014 22:55 #28 by alan 64 (alan)
ut tank looks great and i have found that if ur tank is doing well on the easycarbo and whatever fertilizer ur dosing just leave it alone, some plants dont do well without c02 but just stick to what works for u and great job u have done

More
03 Feb 2014 23:05 #29 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Thanks Alan, I'm just adding easy profito (15ml weekly) along with the easycarbo, I have some hard plants that requires CO2 like utricularia graminifolia but atm it's doing well without it, can't imagine how would be with it.

More
03 Feb 2014 23:19 #30 by alan 64 (alan)
if u get c02 and the bulbs u have i would only add it at a slow rate u would need vetter lighting to pump the c02 in, what dose of easy carbo are u using i always use double the dose rate with no problems

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds