Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Midori, community tank vision 180l

More
03 Feb 2014 23:21 - 03 Feb 2014 23:22 #31 by Homer (Kevin)
Very nice Lydia,

Really nice!

Kev,

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 03 Feb 2014 23:22 by Homer (Kevin).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2014 18:43 #32 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Hi very nice tank , i like that red plant in the middle , what is it ?
ive similar lightning to yours and homemade CO2 system and it works fine ,plants are growing very fast (cant really name them and dont know about their requirements though ) and it costs me around 2.50 euro a week . And an empty coke bottle :laugh:

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker**

More
24 Feb 2014 21:38 - 24 Feb 2014 21:39 #33 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

if u get c02 and the bulbs u have i would only add it at a slow rate u would need vetter lighting to pump the c02 in, what dose of easy carbo are u using i always use double the dose rate with no problems

I'm dossing 3ml daily

Thanks Kev!

Hi very nice tank , i like that red plant in the middle , what is it ?
ive similar lightning to yours and homemade CO2 system and it works fine ,plants are growing very fast (cant really name them and dont know about their requirements though ) and it costs me around 2.50 euro a week . And an empty coke bottle :laugh:

The reds are two different plants, the one at the right is Althernanthera Reineckii 'Rot' and the other is Althernanthera reineckii 'Bronze'. I prefer the 'Rot' one because it's there since I planted always looks awesome, the 'Bronze' one loose a lot of leaves and the color is not so intense.

I would like to know more about that DIY system, would be nice if you could start a topic at the DIY section telling about it, sure there are more ppl interested!
Last edit: 24 Feb 2014 21:39 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
24 Feb 2014 22:04 #34 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Any updated photos of the tank .. ;)

More
24 Feb 2014 22:12 #35 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Denis here you have, one quick pic

As you can see the utricularia graminifolia has gone, the sulawesi snails where in harvest mode and each time they went over it it went floating and losing leaves, I got tired of replanting it.

More
24 Feb 2014 22:27 #36 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

Denis here you have, one quick pic

As you can see the utricularia graminifolia has gone, the sulawesi snails where in harvest mode and each time they went over it it went floating and losing leaves, I got tired of replanting it.

Wow. Lydia, what a gorgeous tank....great job and you've obviously got an eye for it....really beautiful, healthy looking plants and that's without co2! Remarkable...

More
27 Feb 2014 02:27 #37 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Thanks a lot Lydia ,gonna try find those plants some time soon - and if you are interested in D I Y co2 system check DIY section topics its all there think its page 9 ;)

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker**

More
15 Mar 2014 17:40 #38 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
utricularia graminifolia where did you get this.

More
15 Mar 2014 18:02 #39 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

utricularia graminifolia where did you get this.

I get it from aquaworld, it's really beautiful if you have CO2 and don't have huge snails that harvest it.

More
15 Mar 2014 18:45 #40 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
We're is aqua world based do you no if they do deliveries?

More
15 Mar 2014 18:49 #41 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

We're is aqua world based do you no if they do deliveries?

Don't know where are they based but you can order from the website, and yes they do deliver. If the plant you look for is not in stock you should give them a call so they can order them for you.

More
15 Mar 2014 19:59 #42 by Inza (philippe launois)
seahorse had some 2 days ago.

More
17 Mar 2014 13:01 #43 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Missed this thread.

Looking good. Keep us up-to-date on how things turn out.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
01 Apr 2014 15:44 #44 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

Missed this thread.

Looking good. Keep us up-to-date on how things turn out.

ian

Thanks Ian, had some casualties 2 weeks ago but everything is fine now.
I will post a pic when it goes darker, too much light through my window right now!

More
04 Jun 2014 22:00 - 05 Jun 2014 20:44 #45 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Changed my layout a bit, did it this weekend so still some plants are thriving, I think in a month or so will look better!
Basically the plants are the same, added a pogostemon erectus, Xmas moss to the left piece of wood, replaced java moss with triangle moss at the center piece and added a couple of bushes of willow moss. Gosh have there 4 different mosses right now!

Also waiting for 2 Nymphaea Zenkeri and one Nymphaea Rubra that should arrive this week. Also want to add some alder cones.

Thanks Brian for the bogwood, Philippe for the Narrow Pteropus and Santi for the coconut where I attached it and Johnny for the catappa leaves!

Edit: Is so greenish because I took the photo with a new camera we bought last week, all my photos had been taken with the phone until this one, and some of the pics seemed to have like a yellow filter.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2014 20:44 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
04 Jun 2014 23:09 #46 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Oops, that reminds me... I'll be getting those alder cones over the weekend :crazy:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
05 Jun 2014 20:39 #47 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

Oops, that reminds me... I'll be getting those alder cones over the weekend :crazy:

Johnny don't be in a hurry! How is the black water?

More
05 Jun 2014 20:56 #48 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Johnny don't be in a hurry! How is the black water?

Not as black as I'd like it :pinch:
I may get some old beech leaves and try and make my own blackwater extract to bring the colour down a shade or two. The katappa and cones only seem to be doing so much. I don't want it to look like they're swimming around in Pepsi, but I want more than just a pale tinge of colour.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
06 Jun 2014 00:22 #49 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Lydia your tank has gone through so amazing changes.
I love that you are not afraid to try new plants and change the scape a bit.

What dose Midori mean or were dose the mane come from?

More
06 Jun 2014 09:11 - 06 Jun 2014 09:12 #50 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Thanks Darren, now I like how it looks. Would love to do some carpeting but had bad experience with utricularia and tylomelanias...the only plant that can stand against this huge guys is the staurogyne because has deeper roots but even so I have to replant a couple of them every week!

Midori comes from modern japanese and means green. Was tired of calling them Community and nano but at same time was looking for short names that meant something. I remembered this word from a conversation with my husband about the fact that the green color didn't have a word in ancient japanese since they used the word 'Ao' which could mean both blue or green. This thing about the green color seems very common in some Asian countries.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2014 09:12 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds