Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Build

More
13 Sep 2016 22:38 #121 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Replied by Sukahn (Shane Doorley) on topic New Build
Update,

So i have lost about 7 corals int he past few weeks now. All birds nests are basically dead but i might have made 2 survive. My nitrates have slowly come down and my phosphates are now basically at 0 again.

Still dosing NoPoX to keep everything going and coming down and dosing stability every week to keep bacteria at a good level.

I think my issue has been during my water changes and using the sump for the changes as i have so much rock and micromec in the sump that i could have been killing off the bacteria in the sump during a change.

Other notes is my fish are doing really well. No aggression anymore between any of my tangs, and everyone is starting to grow quite well.

My white tang, the one we couldn't figure out what he was, has since starting the tank has changed color to yellow and is now changing again. Ill try and put up pictures of the change as its quite remarkable lol. He was white, went pure yellow, and now is getting white spots around his head and turning color again.

My chocolate tang is doing really well as both of the regal tangs, and getting bigger and bigger.

Only aggression is between by 2 cleaner wrasse which i kinda guessed i would get as they are territorial in the wild but they seam to settle for most of the day except just before feeding times.

My mandarin is doing great, she is fat and seams to love moving around the whole tank. Still hasn't put a dent in the copepod population so im now thinking of getting a male as well.

New filters in RO system with a large DI resin system put in now as well.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2016 09:10 #122 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Replied by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez) on topic New Build
Hey Shane

Good to hear your tank is going back to normal, I myself lost a few SPS after dosing polylab, I have decided not to add anymore livestock until the tank is fully mature which will take another few months.

I would love to see some pictures of the fish tho. I heard cleaners dont tend to like living with similar mates, fortunately they are not very vicious fish! :)

More
07 Nov 2016 05:39 #123 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Really quick update as im about to finish work,

I lost both my cleaner wrasse lol, they were there one day and gone the next, couldn't find body's so they must have been scavenged pretty quick.

I will add some picks of all my fish someday soon here is the stocking list of the tank now :

Female Mandarin
Pair of Snowflake clowns
Large scopas Tang (new)
Orange Shoulder tang (new)
Chocolate tang
yellow eyed Kole Tang
Elbli mimic tang
2 royal tangs
3 banana wrasse
royal gramma
herd of hernits
herd of different snails
2 cleaner shrimp
2 emerald crabs
2 peppermint shrimp

Only got the 2 new tangs yesterday adn now thats it fish wise for the tank.

Corals i got

2 hammers (green and purple, green and gold)
a green frogspawn
2 purple milkas, one huge one :)
duncan coral
elegance coral
candy cane
green star polyp
acro (nearly dead from crash but might survive)
green slimer
3 different montis
and a few others that i cant remember lol

Every coral i have has been grown from frag size, or bought with only a couple of heads.

I will post pics during the week and let ye all see it.

(ps still have a clearseal tank for sale if anyone wants it :) )

More
07 Nov 2016 09:05 #124 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Replied by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez) on topic New Build
Weird stuff with the wrasse, are you gonna add another one?

Cant wait to see some pics man

More
07 Nov 2016 10:45 #125 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Ya I will add another one in a couple of weeks just letting things settle down now.

Coral wise I forgot a green goni and a red goni, 2 different brain corals and a couple of things I don't know the names of as I got them when I bought the tank lol.

Fish wise I forgot my foxface and my square back anthias lol.

More
14 Nov 2016 05:16 #126 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
LOL

Still havent gotten a new photo up yet but doing a water change later today so you will all get to see it in its glory. Still trying to get a couple of corals to recover after crash but everything is looking good so far.

More
15 Nov 2016 02:33 #127 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Well here are 2 pics from the tank today :)

Attachments:

More
15 Nov 2016 02:36 #128 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

More
15 Nov 2016 17:58 #129 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic New Build
What a nice, smooth, professional shot video!!

I must admit I do like the mixed substrate, but how on earth do you manage clean It? How do you get the hose in and around the bits and pieces?

More
15 Nov 2016 22:19 #130 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
My substrate isn't cleaned that well lol. I have 3 large sand-sifting starfish and a host of snails that burrow into the sand. Also i have 3 yellow banana wrasse that sleep in the sand to the dive in and out every day, or when they are spooked. I do a little siphoning but my clean up crew do most of the work

Noticed today that i now have an outbreak of what looks to be either white spot or flukes. Seams to have come in on my scopas tang. Im planning on installing a UV tomorrow and getting some medication for the tank too to try and stop it beore it gets too bad.

More
16 Nov 2016 23:38 #131 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Ok guys, started treating the tank today for white spot with Polyplab medic treatment as reading up on it online. minimum 10 day treatment so hopefully it will work. Its supposed to be reef and invert safe.

Other thank that everyone seamed very happt in the tank today, the scopas looks a little thin so planning on adding some garlic soaked nuri to help boost their immune system.

Didnt get a chance to install my UV but going to do it someday soon.

I also hunted out one of the male emerald crabs that has been eating LPS corals. Hes already eaten about 200 euro woorth of heads of frogspawns and duncans so im glad hes out lol. He's going into the sump now until i decide what im going to do with him.

More
17 Nov 2016 09:07 #132 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic New Build
Sounds as though your crab has expensive tastes , probably a female

More
19 Nov 2016 07:58 #133 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
The one that's earing everything is the male of the two I have. I think without having any nuisance algae I mustn't have had enough greens going into the tank and now he loves corals lol.

More
19 Nov 2016 20:14 #134 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Here is a pic after a quick few coral changes and adding a toadstool.
Attachments:

More
19 Nov 2016 21:12 #135 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic New Build
Very nice

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds