Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Build

More
12 Jul 2016 22:21 #91 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Replied by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez) on topic New Build
I'd say avoid stressing him anymore. Either remove the power blue or leave it.

That's just my opinion though, otherwise move him to a quarantine tank and leave him there for a while but it will be hard to introduce him back into the tank.

I hope I dont have issues with mine, tangs are pretty hard to please :(

It might be nothing so like I said, maybe just dont stress him

Maybe others will have other tips

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2016 17:49 #92 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
How is the little fella doing?

More
13 Jul 2016 19:09 #93 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic New Build
Jesus I never realised there was such problems with nasos eating....I had a nasi before that just refused to eat and the nasoI have now although I seen him eating in sh(eating frozon food)all he eats in my tank is flakes.

The powder blue I have as well was very aggressive towards the naso at the start as well.

Can the powder blue be relocated to the other tank while the naso settles in????

More
13 Jul 2016 21:00 #94 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Yeah I am not sure if it is normal.

Mine was fine at first, but after the damsel bullying him (and everyone) in the tank he started to act funny and stopped eating.

IMO is like he just didnt like the hostility.

I always remember that beautiful naso they had in SH's main tank, he also was harassed by a big yellow tang (newly introduced) and died. And that guy had been there for years!

I always though Nasos were like the peaceful guys that nobody cared about in a tank and that will always be left alone.

More
13 Jul 2016 23:58 #95 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Replied by Sukahn (Shane Doorley) on topic New Build
Here is the update,

He is currently in my sump, on his side and not doing too well. I have placed garlic laden mysis, marine grazer, and nori all in the sump in case he decides to move and try and eat. didnt look good this morning and nothing changed by the time i was going to work tonight. I had to resuscitate him this morning after being in the sump, since hes not moving too well he got hung up on the reactor pump, got him and held him under the outflow of the skimmer and he started moving again.

Naso's are very calm Tangs and hate aggression as ive read online. They dont do well moving tanks and usually dont eat for prolonged periods of time, im just hoping i can get him back to health again. If not he was the main reason i decided to start up this tank, well him and a powder but mainly him.

If he doesnt survive would anyone be interested in a 3ft clearseal :)

Chris,

Im not going to risk putting the powder in my other tank due to his aggression as i currently have a lemon peel, a mimic, an elbi, 2 dory's in that tank. My most agressive fish in that tank tho is my coral beauty and i dont want the powder killing him off or any of the tangs in that tank. Everyone is happy out in the 5ft so dont wanna push it. I was thinking of putting the Naso in there if he recovers.

The Naso was eating fine in SH when i bought him, eat very well but i think one of two things have happened,

1 . The powder just bullied him too much,

2. my foxface has accidently spiked him. The naso does have a small mark under one of his swimming fins as is acting drunk, sign of posioning, but he is big enough to recover from a foxface spike.

Here's hoping he survives the night tonight and starts picking himself up. rang SH galway to get info to try and help him, they said maybe a metaline bath

The powder has calmed down in the main tank now since the naso has gone, i did try and get him out of the tank this morning but hes A too fast and B very feckin intelligent lol, can find a space anywhere to hide.

More
14 Jul 2016 17:39 #96 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
MySailfin has similar marks from what I also believe is the foxface.

Its like a circle with a little "whole" in the middle.

I think he got stung twice in 2 weeks. I would assume this happen during feeding and "accidentaly" as there are no signs of aggression as such any other time.

The Foxface is quite relaxed for the most part but if I knew he was gonna be like this I wouldn't have put him in the tank. So far none of the smaller fish have had similar marks.

He is now almost fully recovered from both stings. Showed signs of funny swimming (like a bit sideways sometimes) but it is now gone. Hopefully he will learn his lesson.

More
14 Jul 2016 22:15 #97 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Update :

My naso has died. This morning he was still attempting to swim but was spending most of his time on his side, upside down. by this eveining when i got up he was gone.

Giving him a quite look over i couldnt actually see any marks on him but im going to bring him down tomorrow to the lads in SH to see if Charles can notice anything. I do think it was just down to stress what he wasnt happy in the tank with the powder.

Now comes the dilemma of figuring outwhat to do with the tank, as i could just solely put all my effort into the 5ft tank and use funding from selling the 3ft to buy all the other bits and peices to keep the larger tank going better, or keep the other tank going and try to figure out is there anything else i would like to see in the tank thats not a tang lol.

More
14 Jul 2016 22:20 #98 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Replied by Lakes1985 (David Ward) on topic New Build
So sorry to hear that buddy

More
14 Jul 2016 22:27 #99 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Cheers bud. If he hadn't recovered by the weekend i was going to put him out of his misery anyways, just hate seeing sick fish :(

More
14 Jul 2016 23:15 #100 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic New Build
Thats rough, hate it when one loses fish

More
15 Jul 2016 10:36 #101 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
I am so sorry man. I know its hard to lose your favorite fish.

If you want my opinion. Stick to 1 tank.

More
17 Jul 2016 07:58 #102 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Think that's going to be the plan. I think I would rather spend the time and money on making one tank perfect than trying to do my best keeping 2 tanks going.

If anyone has any interest in buying a 3ft clearseal with everything needed gimme a shout.ill be getting a post ready for the sale soon.

More
17 Jul 2016 13:20 #103 by carlowchris (chris)
sorry to hear :-(( ..there a lovely fish the naso tang

ever thought of instead of having another full reef tank maybe have an anemone tank??or maybe seahorses???.....something maybe different from the 5 foot.

More
17 Jul 2016 22:19 #104 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Was down looking at what i could do with the 3ft tank today in SH. Was thinking of seahorses but then was thinking about all the extra workload that i would have been putting on myself and went against it.

Also with the anemone tank i was thinking of crashes and losing it all and kinda have went to the point of wanting to make the 5ft as good as it could be.

Was thinking with the money from selling the other tank i could automate the 5ft abit more but also with the less running cost i would be able to look after the 5ft alot better than trying to keep both up and running.

Im still in two minds about the whole thing tho, i love having the two tanks but i have 2 girls under 3, with the nearly 3 year old getting tested for Autism getting enough time to look after both tanks is getting difficult atm.

More
17 Jul 2016 23:10 #105 by carlowchris (chris)
Oh sorry to hear about the little one but my little one is 8 nearly 9 and constantly tests .....slightly autistic...slightly this and slightly that.....sometimes I wonder if her teachers should be tested.

But the little ones do love fish ..and whoo it looked very impressive with the two tanks ....but one tank just as cool :whistle:

More
18 Jul 2016 09:42 #106 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey Shane

Seeing you have two girls already you are bound to be busy for a few years, maybe 20-30 ;) and although I understand how cool is to have two tanks (been there myself) it will be just too much work. I would rather focus on 1 single tank rather than having 2. A 5ft will give you enough work and like you said, invest more money on that one, automation, lights etc and then maybe, once it runs by itself consider getting a new one.

Up until recently I have had 3 tanks running and it was just too much hassle, specially when going on holidays.

More
19 Jul 2016 03:04 #107 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Well i think im kinda going with the idea of taking it down and selling it. I originally bought the tank for the corals and fish that were part of the package, and the powerheads that were in it.

After all that i think ill be sad to see it coming down. Ill have a list of equipment and fish soon enough.

More
09 Aug 2016 22:46 #108 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
OK new update, finally. Had my sisters wedding 2 weeks ago and loads of stuff to do with family commitments but have finally got the 3ft taken down. Had to as its my older daughters birthday on Thursday and have to have it cleaned by then lol.

So i moved over 30kgs of more rock into the 5ft tank and moved the foxface royal gramma and a cleaner wrasse into the 5ft as well.

The two cleaner wrasse that are in the tank are not being friends and kinda fighting every now and again, but my main worry is my Kole tang (its the yellow tang i didnt know what it was at first but hes still yellow and starting to get spots so thinking it is a Kole) and the foxface and fighting. The Kole is the one being the bully but the foxface isnt really too bothered, he just flicks at him and and kole runs away, but then comes back to try another sneak attack.

Everything else in the tank is going great. Everything looks healthy except for one of my acro's but hoping to solve it by placing it abit higher and in better flow.

I Will post a pic of the tank with its new rock now as well. Still looks the same but i have added all the rock to the back of the tank for more hiding places and move places for copepods to breed as im planning on getting a male mandarin for my female as i love mandarins.

More
09 Aug 2016 22:48 #109 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Attachments:

More
09 Aug 2016 23:02 #110 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic New Build
Only one word for it , stunning

More
09 Aug 2016 23:31 #111 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Thanks Robert :)

More
10 Aug 2016 02:29 #112 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Attachments:

More
10 Aug 2016 02:30 #113 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
HAHA it worked lol. Pics are from tank startup to the move of corals and fish, to the new rock work and fish additions.

More
10 Aug 2016 23:35 #114 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Replied by Lakes1985 (David Ward) on topic New Build
Beautiful

More
18 Aug 2016 00:17 #115 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Ok not having a good few days.

at the weekend i went along to my LFS and bought 75L of salt off them to i could do a water change as i need to change the filters on my own RO system and havent gotten about to order them as im thinking of getting a new one.

Done my water change and everything went fine. By sunday night i noticed that my Favia has a little bit of bleaching on it, just on one side and i taught something could have just annoyed it. Monday night, still hadnt cleared upbut i noticed a coral that was really struggling, gave up on life and basically lost most of its polyps overnight.

Tuesday i noticed that one of my birdsnest had lost alot of flesh. Was on my way to work so could do a water test.

DONE ONE THIS MORNING. Everything was now, except nitrates were unmeasurable above 50ppm. From a tank before the water change running between 2-10 to being that high does anyone have any ideas what could have happened. No ammonia no nitrite barley a measurement on Phospates.

More
23 Aug 2016 03:41 #116 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Update,

Dosing the rank with stability and nopox and still getting 50+ nitrate readings. Used 2 separate test kits and both showing the same.

Think I found the issue tho, I'm getting phosphates leaking from a rock or something as its was reading 0.5 today. Taught the nopox would be sorting it out but no. Going to put in more phosphate remover and put in another 2 reactors just to try and get it down.

So far loses are an acro, 2 birdsnests and at least 2 heads of my Duncan. Frogspawn, elegance and sun corals are not looking great but hopefully I can get everything back down soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this stage.

More
23 Aug 2016 18:14 #117 by carlowchris (chris)
Strange everything's ng was fine by fore the eater change???

Only a theaory but maybe the rock coming from the other tank...whilst already cycled was the own bacteria cononly...that bacteria was at a different rate to the 5 foot tank and is being out competed by the he bacteria in th 5 foot dying off and causing a nitrate spike.....just a theory... But if that is the case hopefully it should settle down soon

More
23 Aug 2016 20:15 #118 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey Shane

I read this a couple of days ago and honestly didnt know what to say. 50+ nitrates does not necessarily have to cause stress on corals such as elegance etc, they actually tend to love them, phosphates though might. SPS well yeah, they are very sensitive so that would explain why you lost them.

Like Chris said, if you were using rock from the other tank in the moving process you could have lost some organic matter that turned into ammonia and then nitrates but nitrates being so high it must have been a massive amount of them which is rare.

I just dont know what could be causing this. How is your substrate? I would def try adding bacteria and do a few water changes but if whatever is causing the nitrate spike is not addressed it will keep going up and up!

What about adding more macro algae? even in the tank if possible although tangs will likely eat it (you could put in in a plastic container with a bunch of wholes and place it in the tank so tangs wont eat it?)

More
24 Aug 2016 00:16 #119 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey guys,

New filters for RO system should be here in the morning, changed out carbon and phos-ex in the reactors today, put 2 more bags of carbon in the sump to help it along.

The substrate is coral, 3 different sized sand fine and coarse. Have sand sifting star fish, narissis snails and fighting conch snails for turning it.

Was thinking of putting in a macro algae bed in the sump, going to check out small lights for the sump and keep it on 24hrs a day.

One fun things from today is a found out i have millions of fully adult copepods in my sump. They even are managing to stay in my reactors and multiply lol.

More
24 Aug 2016 00:49 #120 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Just wanted to add had used stability to set up both tanks.

I probably did just add too much into the 5ft when I done the move cause not only did rock go in but also a couple of smaller fish, probably had die off as there wasn't enough waste then to feed all the bacteria.

Im back Dosing again so hopefully by the weekend everything will settle down. Planning a test again tomorrow.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds