Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My New Marine Tank From Week 1

More
28 Jan 2014 22:41 #121 by SSS (Sion S)
Is that a type of Kole Tang? Really nice!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2014 15:36 #122 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
cheers mate its a sailfin tang really is a cool fish hand feeding on second day :)

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
29 Jan 2014 15:37 #123 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Thanks Alan

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
30 Jan 2014 20:50 - 30 Jan 2014 20:52 #124 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Decided to try and scape the tank to simulate a real reef, after lots of reading and pics from divers ect. I see the days of filling the tank side to side top to bottom with live rock is gone out the window fish need space epically if you keep tangs
So I done a main feature that catches the eye first glance, kept the rock medium height and let it drop a little on one side and allot on the other with a few caves and tunnels with nice lines and 12 corals around this area
Then a second feature but not as stunning similar but smaller and less but very nice corals
The two islands should almost meet as if their one but having a nice bit of sand between to create space
So this is what I came up with still a few little tweaks to be done but I can see now what I'm looking for this is a night shot will get some day shots tomorrow, hope you like

Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Jan 2014 20:52 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
31 Jan 2014 16:06 - 31 Jan 2014 16:10 #125 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Last edit: 31 Jan 2014 16:10 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
05 Feb 2014 14:12 #126 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Man that's big! you finally got a sump as well!

I wish I had the space... it looks fantastic!

where is your elegance?

More
05 Feb 2014 23:59 #127 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Thanks bud call in next time ur passing pics do nothing for it

Lost my baby in the old tank only thing I ever lost since going salty very disappointed, still am,
Only thing I can think of is I never used a top up unit to keep things stable so maybe that pi,,ed it off
And as you know my torches were never 100% but since the new setup with a top up unit they are now looking much better and extending more

Maybe in another few wks I can convince the wife to let me spend another €120 on one coral (actually valentines day is coming soon) hehe might get her to buy this one, one can dream

Yours is looking amazing fair play

But it would look better in my tank haha

More
06 Feb 2014 09:35 - 06 Feb 2014 12:55 #128 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Sorry to hear that Jeff, my elegance was also my wifes present so go for it, just be good to her this next 2 weeks!

I will hold you to your offer, I might pop over one evening or even during the weekend. Would love to see that tank!

I have heard of the elegance to be a bit of a lottery in regards their care. Mine seems indestructible. It survived a major tank crash, doesnt seem to mind different salinity levels, he doesnt care about the shrimps jumping on him, the clowns spend all the time in it, I move him every now and then trying to find the best place for him, some of its polyps got stuck in the overflow box (I have fixed that now) and not a bother... I have heard of other elegance dying without any warnings.

Mine is getting bigger by the minute, it occupies, when fully expanded, more than half of the aquarium. And I have reduced the lighting period as well as feeding to stop him from growing but he doesnt seem to care. Also my nitrates are high (around 10-15) but he doesnt mind that either. So I am very luck.

I need to upgrade and soon... I am in between red sea max 250 or a aquaone 300. Decisions, decisions!
Last edit: 06 Feb 2014 12:55 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez).

More
06 Feb 2014 11:35 #129 by jonmac (Jon McNamee)
Wow looks great, is that a blue background on the tank or none at all?

Converting to reef at the moment, hope mine looks as good

'Its not the years honey, its the milage'
Dunshaughlin, Meath.

More
07 Feb 2014 00:38 #130 by alan 64 (alan)
as jeff says these pictures are good but when u see this tank in person ye just think wow, its realy amazing on of the finest tanks ive ever seen so hats off too u jeff on a great job very well done

More
07 Feb 2014 08:49 #131 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Oh then! Judging by the comments here I will be popping over soon ;)

You are so lucky... I wish I had the space...

More
08 Feb 2014 18:54 #132 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Sorry to hear that Jeff, my elegance was also my wifes present so go for it, just be good to her this next 2 weeks!

I will hold you to your offer, I might pop over one evening or even during the weekend. Would love to see that tank!

I have heard of the elegance to be a bit of a lottery in regards their care. Mine seems indestructible. It survived a major tank crash, doesnt seem to mind different salinity levels, he doesnt care about the shrimps jumping on him, the clowns spend all the time in it, I move him every now and then trying to find the best place for him, some of its polyps got stuck in the overflow box (I have fixed that now) and not a bother... I have heard of other elegance dying without any warnings.

Mine is getting bigger by the minute, it occupies, when fully expanded, more than half of the aquarium. And I have reduced the lighting period as well as feeding to stop him from growing but he doesnt seem to care. Also my nitrates are high (around 10-15) but he doesnt mind that either. So I am very luck.

I need to upgrade and soon... I am in between red sea max 250 or a aquaone 300. Decisions, decisions!

Yeah its a 50/50 with them yours is Deffo bullet proof lucky you

@jonmac thank you, it's a black background the camera make the pics look very blue, best of luck with the new adventure trust me it will be worth every cent

@alan thanks very much mate means allot :-)

More
09 Feb 2014 20:13 #133 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Only had a quick look when i poped down to ya to collect that filter, but bloody hell i was impressed!
Im going ahead with my 60l tank! Slowly adding equipment will keep herself off my back lol

cheers for the inspiration

shell kill ya if she ever meets ya haha

More
10 Feb 2014 14:10 #134 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Cheers bud, Haha its after you set the 60 up and and you get the buzz of it all and then you'll want to put it all in the bigger tank and then you need more stuff that's when I never want to meet her haha,
Best of luck with it any questions just gis a bell il be glad to help if I can

More
10 Mar 2014 19:28 - 10 Mar 2014 19:29 #135 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Got this 4" beauty over the weekend cracking fish have to say, and a few new corals
Going to get a lend of a proper camera and get some good photos to show you the proper colours in the tank everyone that has seen the tank from the forum will know and have said my pics are... Basically crap so u hope the new pics to come will inspire some more of you to get into marines cause it's the best move I ever made

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Mar 2014 19:29 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
10 Mar 2014 19:33 #136 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Nice Jeff... getting better and better! Pics dont do the tank any justice

More
10 Mar 2014 19:41 #137 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Found your Elegance yet????
You should try get a proper HD video of the tank man..... thats the only way you will give the tank proper justice

More
10 Mar 2014 20:18 #138 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Nice Jeff... getting better and better! Pics dont do the tank any justice

Cheers bud how much do you charge per hour with ur beast of a camera lol

More
10 Mar 2014 20:23 #139 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

You should try get a proper HD video of the tank man..... thats the only way you will give the tank proper justice

Still on the hunt bud 2 shops will have them in for me the end of the week (hopefully)not sure what they will be like and sh will have some in 2wks but they will be very small ones from tmc so I won't be into them they said I would need a Australian order for a big one and that won't be soon grrr

More
10 Mar 2014 21:08 #140 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
hey man!

Its free to rent as long as I go with it! ;)

More
10 Mar 2014 21:53 #141 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Your more than welcome anytime mate il even make some tea

More
11 Mar 2014 15:10 #142 by alan 64 (alan)

this is a pic i have of jeffs tank
Attachments:

More
11 Mar 2014 15:16 #143 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey Jeff

How are you fixed this week? I can pop over after work if you want?

We can give it a go, with a bit of patience we should get a good few pictures

More
11 Mar 2014 15:44 #144 by alan 64 (alan)

and this is a short video i have of it as jeff still hasnt posted a video have u jeff :hammer:

More
17 Mar 2014 13:00 #145 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Hey Jeff

How are you fixed this week? I can pop over after work if you want?

We can give it a go, with a bit of patience we should get a good few pictures

Sorry bud was up to me you know what last week maybe we can do it later in the week if that suits, cheers

More
17 Mar 2014 13:03 #146 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

and this is a short video i have of it as jeff still hasnt posted a video have u jeff :hammer:

Haha cheers alan, still does nothing for it though, my videos won't upload onto YouTube when it's finished it just keeps saying pending some are pending weeks

More
17 Mar 2014 14:25 #147 by jonmac (Jon McNamee)
your corals look magnificent!

What have you got and how difficult were they to set up?

Dunshaughlin, Meath.

More
17 Mar 2014 20:31 #148 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Cheers man pics dont do them justice at all I've over 30 in their softies and lps I'm not doing anything special just always make sure the water is spot on and do weekly water changes even with a savage skimmer the weekly wc helps keep the levels spot on

More
17 Mar 2014 20:38 #149 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Finally got the elegance mate not one but two collecting them tomorrow or the next day so il have to make a few changes to fit them in hopefully then I can get a HD video (somehow) they won't upload from my phone on here or you tube on you tube it keeps telling me it's pending it's head wrecking

More
17 Mar 2014 20:38 #150 by jonmac (Jon McNamee)
How big a water change do you do every week?

Dunshaughlin, Meath.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds