Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My New Marine Tank From Week 1

More
17 Mar 2014 20:59 #151 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Savage buddy!!!
Im made up for you!!!!

I've shelved plans again for a while due to a few different things going on!!!

Cant wait to see the two of them take off and start growing!!!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2014 21:09 #152 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

How big a water change do you do every week?

A 5% wc is only required in a marine tank weekly or 10% fortnightly it better to do it weekly as it keep the levels from dropping to much, This tank has a total of 700ltrs. So 35ltrs is fine weekly I have two 20lt drums so I just do the two of them I fill the two with ro water on a Sunday and make the water on a Monday in less than an hour

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
17 Mar 2014 21:17 #153 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Savage buddy!!!
Im made up for you!!!!

I've shelved plans again for a while due to a few different things going on!!!

Cant wait to see the two of them take off and start growing!!!!!

Cheers bud, that's a pity you have to wait but sure it's always better not to rush with these tanks patients is the key to a successful tank so wait until ur 100% before the launch
You want have to wait to long to see big elegances in my tank I got one large and one medium hehehe still haven't told her yet :angry: il just put them in and leg it

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
17 Mar 2014 21:26 #154 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Ah hahaha
I could just see Laura"s face if i was to do that!!!!

More
17 Mar 2014 21:28 #155 by jonmac (Jon McNamee)
Yes agree doing weekly water changes myself last month or so, water much more stable.

'Its not the years honey, its the milage'
Dunshaughlin, Meath.

More
17 Mar 2014 21:39 #156 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Ah hahaha
I could just see Laura"s face if i was to do that!!!!

Not getting it for a week il be told :P

More
17 Mar 2014 21:43 #157 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Yes agree doing weekly water changes myself last month or so, water much more stable.

Yeah it's much better everything appreciates it better and It's handier for us only making half the amount of water less mess less stress haha

More
18 Mar 2014 12:29 - 18 Mar 2014 12:58 #158 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey Jeff, no worries I will give you a call sometime this week, or even during the weekend if that's ok with you.

In regards the elegance, I am interested so see how they get on in your tank. I have been wondering why your last elegance didnt make it and why mine keeps getting bigger and bigger considering that my water parameters nitrate wise are far from excellent (my nitrates are normally between 10-25 ppm) and I think this is the reason why.

I have been doing some research and apparently elegance like high nitrates, this will explain why when my tank crashed the elegance did not only survive despite having incredibly high nitrate levels but thrived and looked happier than ever.

I have seen a few people saying exactly the same thing, elegance love high nitrates... so there you go.. .keep your water dirty! ;)

PS: Here is a link where it mentions the above

link

There are plenty more out there, lots of post from people saying precisely this. Long I suspected this might be the reason why mine is thriving despite me dont feeding it weekly (my tank is too small and I wanted to keep my corals under control). I guess now I need to take this into account for my new tank and work out a way to keep all my new corals happy, most of my current corals seem ok but I also know that Xenias dont mind high nitrates either (at least at this level), star polyps seem indestructible as weel (they also survived the crash).
Last edit: 18 Mar 2014 12:58 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez).

More
22 Mar 2014 21:35 #159 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
That's a very good point bud and the link is great thanks for that :) my nitrates actually hit zero a couple of weeks ago and noticed the torches were not to happy and was wondering why, they seem to prefer higher nitrates too
I got nitro to higher them it raises them and potassium nothing else so happy days brought it up to six for now might go bit higher but il see how it go's for now the torches and great for letting me know, but so far with the elegance,s all is very well their opening better than they where when i seen them at first only time will tell now, you have given me a better chance of that so thank you so much if ur around tomorrow drop in I'm hear for the day, cheers bud

More
22 Mar 2014 22:07 - 22 Mar 2014 22:09 #160 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Pics wont upload will try tomorrow

Last edit: 22 Mar 2014 22:09 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
22 Mar 2014 22:24 #161 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
From talking to a few people about lps
And doing a bit of reading on them, is it not the case that they all prefer a slightly elevated nitrate level as it means there is more nutrients in the water for them?

More
25 Mar 2014 12:10 - 25 Mar 2014 12:11 #162 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Only the sps don't like them most lps and softies like or need at least something their

Last edit: 25 Mar 2014 12:11 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
25 Mar 2014 12:13 #163 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Pink tip elegance

More
25 Mar 2014 12:16 #164 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
:hammer: no pics Wtf

More
25 Mar 2014 14:48 #165 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Beautiful... :evil:

More
25 Mar 2014 14:54 #166 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
send me the pics to me phone Jeff

Ill have them up in no time for ya
;) B)

More
25 Mar 2014 15:34 #167 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Beautiful... :evil:

:P :laugh:

More
25 Mar 2014 15:36 #168 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

send me the pics to me phone Jeff

Ill have them up in no time for ya
;) B)

Cheers bud sent them to yea might take a while to get it, worth a shot anyway

More
25 Mar 2014 16:28 #169 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)

More
25 Mar 2014 16:29 #170 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)

More
25 Mar 2014 16:45 #171 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Thanks bud :-)

The small one is the pink tip and the big one is the blue tip
Let's hope I can keep these ones alive :$

More
25 Mar 2014 16:57 #172 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
No sweat....
You have learnt from the last time.... so youll be grand this time fella

More
25 Mar 2014 17:13 #173 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Cheers,
Hope so cause I was told if I buy anymore after this il be moving into the shed 'with the tank haha

More
27 Mar 2014 23:21 #174 by carlowchris (chris)
Absoluty amazing tank.

pics dont do it justice

Thanks jeff

More
30 Mar 2014 15:26 #175 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Thanks Chris, and no probs cheers

More
30 Mar 2014 15:30 - 30 Mar 2014 15:34 #176 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Added another torch coral and a bubble coral

Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Mar 2014 15:34 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
31 Mar 2014 14:53 #177 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Got this beauty today thanks to Dan in sh but he will be in qt for a while just to make sure the fish not Dan

Attachments:

More
02 Apr 2014 18:09 #178 by iknowkungfu (chris)
NICE TANK Alot of stock in their lps with softies are you running a sump maybe look in the future of gettiing one, or youll be doing alot of weekly water changes which will pee you off in 2 to 3 years down the road . My tank is running over 3 years and what i found the corals i started with half are gone chemical warfare between lps and softies and the ones that are left grow huge! Also hold back on any more stock for about 1 year, your tank now will look totally different in 3 years time , the soft corals will grow faster then lps and can push them out.
On the internet their is a good piece by a guy in the states about "keep a reef long term" his studies have found out people who start in the hobby buy tons or corals and after many years to be left with only two to three species. We mix corals for around the world into 1 glass tank , but if you look at nature lps grow with lps, sps grow with sps, and sofies grow with softies. I started with 30 corals now i have tons of zoes, mushrooms and maze corals.
If i knew what i know now about marine i would have only bought around 10 corals and saved alot of money . I have the lights you have they are good roughly that same is t8 but not good on sps and some lps hards. Good luck with the tank and always keep an eye on your alkinity twice a week ! And dont believe what your local shop says do the research before you buy any stock. Remember a baby does not say a baby all its life it grow up to be an adult which will look totally different.

More
03 Apr 2014 11:27 #179 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Thank you,

The tank has a 4ft sump with a deltec apf600 skimmer and a dd 80w uv and ozone being added tonight

As for the softies I have total control over their growth as in each one has not got the chance to spread anywhere their all on individual rocks with a small space between them and anything, if somehow they manage to build a bridge and try to take over I can easily remove them for a trim, allot of thought went into placing the corals where they are so in the future I wouldn't end up with a big overgrown mess

More
14 Apr 2014 17:25 - 14 Apr 2014 18:11 #180 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Last edit: 14 Apr 2014 18:11 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds