Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My New Marine Tank From Week 1

• pawel (pawel)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jul 2013 12:21 #91 by pawel (pawel)
Replied by pawel (pawel) on topic New Salt-Water Set-up
Looking good:)

very nice setup:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2013 01:11 #92 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Thanks very much pawel ;)

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
26 Jul 2013 20:14 - 26 Jul 2013 20:21 #93 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Video of one of the clowns I just spotted trying to start hosting the long tentacle toadstool, sorry I'm using my phone and can't seem to upload video, I'll work on that while you look at the pics they'll give you an idea

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jul 2013 20:21 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
12 Aug 2013 22:30 - 12 Aug 2013 22:31 #94 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Some new corals

Last edit: 12 Aug 2013 22:31 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
12 Aug 2013 22:33 #95 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Grrrr pics not uploading

More
12 Aug 2013 22:37 - 13 Aug 2013 16:21 #96 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

This ellagance is only in the tank one day and looking good already:-)

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Aug 2013 16:21 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
12 Aug 2013 23:56 #97 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
I just read your whole thread and wow fair play and looks amazing you would swear ya kept marines for years by looking at the tank really looks amazing

More
13 Aug 2013 16:17 #98 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Thanks very much Paul it's the best move I ever made love giving it attention and then sitting back and enjoying it

More
13 Aug 2013 17:12 #99 by Melander (Andreas Melander)

I just read your whole thread and wow fair play and looks amazing you would swear ya kept marines for years by looking at the tank really looks amazing

+1

Tank looks great and it's really nice to be able to follow it step by step like this.

I especially like the "creepy crawlers".

Andreas

More
14 Aug 2013 17:55 #100 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Thanks Andreas, you would love it night so, that's when the real creepy stuff come out to play

More
17 Aug 2013 12:55 - 17 Aug 2013 13:01 #101 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Full tank pics today

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Aug 2013 13:01 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
31 Aug 2013 13:37 - 31 Aug 2013 13:41 #102 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Added 2 torches and a brain yesterday

One of my toadstool's is in a bad humour in these pics

Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Aug 2013 13:41 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
04 Sep 2013 15:44 - 04 Sep 2013 15:53 #103 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Ok this is it added the last few corals over the last two weeks and Im finished adding anymore it was a struggle fitting the last two in so decided I'm full now it's time to let it grow and mature it's taken me around 10mts to get this far and it was a joy building it up
Here is the last of the photo's for about 6mts and il do a few more and see the growth difference
Hope I done the topic justice for the forum with enough Info and pics
And a big thank you for all the comments and encouragement

Cheers

Last edit: 04 Sep 2013 15:53 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
04 Sep 2013 15:54 #104 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Its looking great Jeff!

The elegance, torch, etc... they all look fantastic!

More
21 Nov 2013 21:10 #105 by ck1 (chris)
Any recent pictures Jeff. I came on to ask you what's your cleaning routine with the filters. Do you wash the micro mec. Are the levels staple enough I keep reading about how bad they are but from what I can see it's people jumping on the bandwagon who have probably never used one

More
25 Nov 2013 21:35 - 25 Nov 2013 21:41 #106 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Howye mate I was having to many problems with my Blue tang so decided to rehome him but it ment stripping my tank of nearly all rock (gutted) so tank is now a bit different now I'm going to do a few new pics tomorrow

Maintenance I clean front and side glass every second day
I do 10% wc every 2 week's And top up with ro in between so that becomes every two weeks it does only be around 2 ltrs
Floss is changed every week
Micro mec has only been shaken out twice in the last year
Filter is Never cleaned just siphon out carp at the end of it around every 3/4 mts.
A new thing I've been doing is every month just giving the rocks a blow over with a turkey baster to keep them mint (you'd be surprised what comes Off them)
Powerheads, uv unit, skimmer, hood, filter tubes (inlet outlet) all get a good clean every 6mts

As for testing really only keep an eye on

Kh
Cal
Mag
Po3
Po4
Sg

Nitrate have never been over 3 and that's with feeding corals I could get it to zero if I stop feeding coral food but be need as the corals prefer them around 2-3
phosphate is always The same 0.002 witch is impressive

The wc every 2wks keeps everything else fine

That's about it will follow Up with some pics tomorrow Of New look and coral growth and some new comers

Last edit: 25 Nov 2013 21:41 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
26 Nov 2013 18:40 - 26 Nov 2013 20:01 #107 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Update pictures after 1 year

One eyed goby

Last edit: 26 Nov 2013 20:01 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
26 Nov 2013 21:10 #108 by MickM (Mick)
Wow really awesome tank love it :cool:

“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”

More
03 Dec 2013 18:50 #109 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Nice one Mick

More
31 Dec 2013 13:46 #110 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Added another few corals electric green stars waving hand and 2 zoos

Attachments:

More
02 Jan 2014 15:19 - 02 Jan 2014 15:32 #111 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Very Last pics that ever will be seen as the tank is getting shut down Saturday week to make way for a bigger tank everything will be taken from this and put in the New tank 5x2x2 opti white
Would like to add this tank was run on live rock live sand external filter with jbl micromec and floss skimmer and uv and 10% water change every two weeks, nothing else was ever added and my water is very good infant I've been told that maybe it was to good for the way I ran it but their you go
it Can be done this way :)

Last edit: 02 Jan 2014 15:32 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
06 Jan 2014 19:40 #112 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Jeff your setup is stunning, love it!. I want one of this :cool:

Thanks for dropping by with the heaters yesterday, was nice to meet you!

More
19 Jan 2014 18:56 #113 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Thank you Lydia no probs nice to meet you to :)

More
19 Jan 2014 19:10 - 19 Jan 2014 19:15 #114 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
The tank is officially shut down now and the New tank is up and running and week now it was made by Seahorse 60" x 30" x 24" opti white front and sides black background and cabinet with 48" sump, tank and sump volume is 700ltrs.
The change over was a success with no losses on Live stock, here are some pics

Last edit: 19 Jan 2014 19:15 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
19 Jan 2014 19:41 #115 by ck1 (chris)
Beautiful tank jeff.What lights you using

More
19 Jan 2014 21:22 #116 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Thanks Chris I made my own light unit from perspex it has 2 juwel 54w marine day 2 red sea 54w actinic and 2 aqua ray 600 blues

More
19 Jan 2014 21:43 #117 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Fantastic tank Jeff...simply awesome...

More
19 Jan 2014 22:05 #118 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Amazing....

Nothing else I can say

More
28 Jan 2014 17:57 #119 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Some new fish

Attachments:

More
28 Jan 2014 18:08 #120 by alan 64 (alan)
beautifull tank mate

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds