Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My New Marine Tank From Week 1

More
28 Mar 2013 15:52 - 28 Mar 2013 18:28 #61 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Going to start the coral collection now here is a few more pics

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2013 18:28 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2013 16:26 #62 by Jk83lfc (John Kelleher)
Your tank looks class jeff well done!

More
28 Mar 2013 22:21 #63 by carlowchris (chris)
hi ya your tank looks fantastic....im setting a new tank at the mo,im areal newbie at this,,,so im on a real steep learning curve..any good tips?????ive only a small rsm130

More
28 Mar 2013 22:58 #64 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Although I am mainly a freshwater keeper, it is good to see a bit a movement on the marine set-ups on the forum.

Nice stuff Jeff.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
01 Apr 2013 00:36 #65 by Fin Tastic (Denis Dave)
happy to see my corals have a great new home, watched them grown from wee nippers, bring a tear to an oul shtone so it would :-((

More
01 Apr 2013 13:52 #66 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
yeah they have really settled in now they really make a big difference in the tank feel like im starting to build something special now

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
01 Apr 2013 14:07 #67 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
looking a bit better, the toadstool is splitting :)

Attachments:

More
01 Apr 2013 21:52 #68 by ghart (Greg Hart)
The tank is looking great Jeff
The Blue Tang looks good.
I was put off buying one of these as they are prone to white spot or so I was told.
I was advised to have Ozone or a UV unit in place before buying the Blue tang.
I assume you have had no problem on that front.

Greg

More
01 Apr 2013 23:54 #69 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Thanks Greg
Yeah i love the blue was always a fish that i wanted from the start but was very paranoid myself about the hole ws thing its a 50/50 gamble at the start, I was told when i bought him that even doh he looked good he could still have it in his (gills or behind his fins ??) and it may not appear for up to 6 weeks, i have him 7 weeks now and no probs, so either he was grand from the start or my uv stopped it from happening, but i still check him every morning to see if he is ok, lots of garlic too, i wont let him go 2 days without it, thats suppose to help big time, he seems to be very happy and gets on very well with the other tangs so the fact hes so small and doing so well i think he will be fine, but as always fingers crossed

More
06 Apr 2013 23:19 - 06 Apr 2013 23:20 #70 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Update: added some more corals today, Brain Coral, White Frogspawn with purple tips x2, White long tentacle toadstool, Blue Zoa's, already they are looking great but in a few days they will look even better here are a few pics for now, and i will upload more when they settle in, they look amazing under the blue lights but my cam is sh1te so it does not do them justice but here's a few for now

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Apr 2013 23:20 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
12 Apr 2013 13:02 - 12 Apr 2013 13:18 #71 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
new corals have settled in well had to move some around till they were happy but all is good for now few more pics. for yez
i also could not resit the temptation of my new lodger he is reef safe with caution so have to make sure hes well fed and see how he gets on, anyway here ye go

Last edit: 12 Apr 2013 13:18 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
12 Apr 2013 23:43 #72 by Fin Tastic (Denis Dave)
that coral beauty is looking A1! hope they show up on the list again soon have to get another in. glad hes being coral friendly too :) my light upgrade has cause some sps bleaching oops :/

More
13 Apr 2013 00:23 #73 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
yeh man hes the bees knees really striking looking fish great personality looks great in the tank feeding well and starting to mix with the others, fingers crossed he stays away from the corals its a 50/50 gamble but he has enough room for now till i convince the wife that, that tank is tiny for them poor fish, hehehe

ahhh no way man thats a sh** buzz with the lights are the sps going to be ok or are you looking at a nightmare

what you going to do???

More
13 Apr 2013 20:50 #74 by Fin Tastic (Denis Dave)
ah its all good did what i should have done from the start,rigged them into my aquaray controller and running them at 50% output,will up them by 10%a week till the corals photoaclimate. birdsnest is looking much better today thank god.

just saying jeff, get rid of the couch and tv in the living room and get a 7*2*2 clearseal, only around 1400. sure whats the harm. pair of radions for another 1400 and a clacium reactor, phosban reactor and skimmer.why stop there get some mp 60's from ecotech for serious circulation. then buy aload of liverock and expensive rare coral. when you get bored of looking at it you can always get the snorkle kit on and go for a tropical swim whenever ya choose!

More
13 Apr 2013 21:57 #75 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Jeff the tank is looking great with the additional corals.
What is your feeding regime for the corals.
I have a few corals now and am concerned I am not feeding them enough.

I made my first video of my marine setup today and will post it on the forum tomorrow.

Greg

More
15 Apr 2013 19:14 #76 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
@ eric yea mad thing haha i wish
glad you got the lights sorted, didnt get a chance to get down to u yesterday gona try for wednesday

@ greg howye mate havent heard from u in a while hope the tanks doing well,
yeah im delighted with how the tank is coming along im just using jbl korallfluid and they get bits of the frozen food too the ones i have dont need that much
what u giving yours ?
did you put up a video yet ?

More
11 May 2013 09:12 #77 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
2 more fish added

Attachments:

More
11 May 2013 09:13 #78 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
2 more fish added

Attachments:

More
11 May 2013 22:48 #79 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Looks Good Jeff.
I recently added a Bicolor Angel to mine it is a beautiful fish. Is currently mixing well with my Flame Angel.
I would like to get a Coral Beauty like you have at some stage.
Your 2 additions are great
The Royal Gramma is a lovely fish snd very peaceful.
I have an Algae Blenny who is the real character of the tank.
The Blennys and Gobies are interesting fun fish to keep.

Greg

More
19 May 2013 21:40 #80 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Cheers Greg

when are you ever going to show us some pics of your tank I'm dying here lol your fish will have grey hair before we see them

More
30 May 2013 17:19 - 30 May 2013 17:25 #81 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Attachments:
Last edit: 30 May 2013 17:25 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
30 May 2013 17:22 #82 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
My naso took his fist bit or flake food today Jasus it felt good

More
30 May 2013 17:23 - 30 May 2013 17:33 #83 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Last edit: 30 May 2013 17:33 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
04 Jul 2013 15:16 - 05 Jul 2013 01:17 #84 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Last edit: 05 Jul 2013 01:17 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
08 Jul 2013 19:50 - 09 Jul 2013 14:53 #85 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Full tank pics

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jul 2013 14:53 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
08 Jul 2013 19:53 - 09 Jul 2013 14:51 #86 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Full tank pics

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jul 2013 14:51 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
08 Jul 2013 21:49 #87 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

Full tank pics

Wow Jeff, just amazing burst of colours....can't believe it has come on so quickly....great job!!,

More
09 Jul 2013 14:55 #88 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Cheers mate yeah it's coming on great

More
09 Jul 2013 18:29 #89 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Congratulations your tank is amazing you are making wish I had a marine tank ! Maybe someday

More
10 Jul 2013 23:29 #90 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
cheers mate means allot, dont say maybe someday i use to say that for years but never really taught about it for real if you really want it you can get it :)

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds