Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My New Marine Tank From Week 1

More
14 Apr 2014 20:44 #181 by iknowkungfu (chris)
B) NICE CORALS I SAY THE SHOP LOVED YOU EACH TIME YOU VISITED, LOVED YOU ZOES I FIND THEM THE NICEST CORALS OUT THEIR WHEN THEY ARE HAPPY WATCH THEM GROW, KEEP AN EYE ON ALK. I FEEL THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS TO WATCH BECAUSE IT CAN SWING EVERY DAY. DID YOU GET ANY SHRIMPS JUST BE CAREFUL YOU HAVE ALOT OF LPS AND THEY LIKE TO BE FED, THE SHRIMPS ARE W.....S BY NICKING THE FOOD FROM THE CORAL, YOU WILL BE FRAGGING IN A FEW YEARS! :evil: ALK SWEET SPOT WOULD BE AROUND 9DKH ALSO MONITOR YOU ALK EVERY DAY FOR ABOUT ONE WEEK THIS WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF HOW MUCH YOU SYSTEM IS USING IN DKH . IE ALK AT THE STARTING OF THE WEEK AND ALK AT THE END DIVIDE BY 7.
Example is my system uptake is about .5dkh per day if i dont water change every 2 weeks also when feeding more you dkh will fall faster because the chemistry in the tank wants to become acid, so always have a good bottle of buffer handy ,,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2014 02:03 #182 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Beautiful tank!

More
15 Apr 2014 20:44 #183 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

B) NICE CORALS I SAY THE SHOP LOVED YOU EACH TIME YOU VISITED, LOVED YOU ZOES I FIND THEM THE NICESTRALS OUT THEIR WHEN THEY ARE HAPPY WATCH THEM GROW, KEEP AN EYE ON ALK. I FEEL THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS TO WATCH BECAUSE IT CAN SWING EVERY DAY. DID YOU GET ANY SHRIMPS JUST BE CAREFUL YOU HAVE ALOT OF LPS AND THEY LIKE TO BE FED, THE SHRIMPS ARE W.....S BY NICKING THE FOOD FROM THE CORAL, YOU WILL BE FRAGGING IN A FEW YEARS! :evil: ALK SWEET SPOT WOULD BE AROUND 9DKH ALSO MONITOR YOU ALK EVERY DAY FOR ABOUT ONE WEEK THIS WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF HOW MUCH YOU SYSTEM IS USING IN DKH . IE ALK AT THE STARTING OF THE WEEK AND ALK AT THE END DIVIDE BY 7.
Example is my system uptake is about .5dkh per day if i dont water change every 2 weeks also when feeding more you dkh will fall faster because the chemistry in the tank wants to become acid, so always have a good bottle of buffer handy ,,

Thanks very much mate haha im sure the shops have nicknamed me Mr. Questions, ha, Dar on here I'm sure can vouch for that, good man Dar always helps me out he does and Dan two very sound lads, yeah alk is the only thing I really have to watch well it's the only thing that I dose only thing I need to for now I usually keep it around 8 but don't have a solid routine yet cause I do wc weekly keeps everything more stable but now that I'm finished adding stuff I will start the weekly test good tip on how to work out how to work out the daily dose that's sound thanks for that, yeah the zoas and brilliant for colour but I'm more a lps heads love the flow and ability to target feed , I have a skunk and a fire shrimp (want more of both) always feed them well before feeding corals I have friends who have lost some to lps grrr

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
15 Apr 2014 20:56 #184 by ck1 (chris)
looking good jeff, id say it looks even better in person, cameras really don't like the blue light

More
15 Apr 2014 21:26 - 16 Apr 2014 01:10 #185 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Cheers mate
Yeh it's hard to get good pics with the lights and a phone camera, looks much better when seeing it properly especially at night with just the blues corals look even better then

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2014 01:10 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
02 May 2014 20:07 #186 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Little update, kinda knew it was going to happen and it's a lesson learned that I would like to share and try encourage people to follow the rule of quarantine, absolutely everything, everything should be quarantined for 6wks even if you got sand from someone qt that too like I said everything it's the only way to not got the marine nightmare whitespot, if you have coral their is no proven mens that work,
But I like most people didn't!!!
And I'm paying for it now as my powder blue started this parasite to breed properly
So far it's spread to 3 other fish
I've been controlling it with a good diet with added garlic and ginger the last 2 wks
But it's still lurking, as it does
I added ozone today to help eliminate it but only time will tell
Hassle I could have avoided if i quarantined everything

Will update next week with hopefully some progress

More
02 May 2014 22:00 #187 by alan 64 (alan)
Hope that gets sorted for u jeff must be a pain in the rocks mate

More
02 May 2014 22:33 #188 by carlowchris (chris)
oh no,Jesus i hope it clears up

the powder blue tang is an absolutely lovely fish,wish i had one........but i did read on another forum where someone did quarantine a gold rim tang and it got white spot,so he pulled it out of the tank and quarantine it again and again and again and the only thing that seemed to work for him in the end was to leave it in the main tank and provide a really good diet and hope the tang didn't get stressed at all.....

hopefully it works for for you....does the foxface still that spot or did that go??????

More
03 May 2014 18:41 #189 by iknowkungfu (chris)
sorry to hear about that ya marine is life long hobby corals fish etc have to built up over many years, tangs are know for white spot you cant use any medication because of the corals these are all things people experience starting a marine your tank will take over a year to mature and this time next year will look different.
When I started i added a coral in every 3 months and fish every few weeks maybe you overloaded the system too fast white spot is a cause. At least your honest and posted it , remember these fish and corals come from the wild you have a responsibility as a fish keeper to give them the best possible chance because maybe some today in the future we will not be able to get our hands on these creatures and don't look if they don't survive i can go out and buy another one because the exportation of marine creatures is been cut down across the globe by governments.

If you do lose him resist the temptation of going out to replace him because white spot once in takes time to clear.
Tangs in the wild swim great distances around the reef flat body shape and small fin movement means very little effort to swim and also they like groups and huge i mean huge tank.
You have to now look at how you house them because disease is the cause of a stressor ...other fish water parameters...or it feels it dose not have enough room to swim without pumbing into other fish.
Look how your fish react with each other good luck.

More
17 May 2014 20:14 #190 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Hope that gets sorted for u jeff must be a pain in the rocks mate

Thanks Alan is was a pain until I added the ozone now it's stress free all clear all fat and happy, their is a chance it may come back but I'm not worried at all the ozone is deadly, literally ha

More
17 May 2014 20:17 #191 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

oh no,Jesus i hope it clears up

the powder blue tang is an absolutely lovely fish,wish i had one........but i did read on another forum where someone did quarantine a gold rim tang and it got white spot,so he pulled it out of the tank and quarantine it again and again and again and the only thing that seemed to work for him in the end was to leave it in the main tank and provide a really good diet and hope the tang didn't get stressed at all.....

hopefully it works for for you....does the foxface still that spot or did that go??????

Sound Chris all is well now no panic ha, foxface is doing great nice and fat and growing, did yeh get any coral yet??

More
17 May 2014 20:41 #192 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

sorry to hear about that ya marine is life long hobby corals fish etc have to built up over many years, tangs are know for white spot you cant use any medication because of the corals these are all things people experience starting a marine your tank will take over a year to mature and this time next year will look different.
When I started i added a coral in every 3 months and fish every few weeks maybe you overloaded the system too fast white spot is a cause. At least your honest and posted it , remember these fish and corals come from the wild you have a responsibility as a fish keeper to give them the best possible chance because maybe some today in the future we will not be able to get our hands on these creatures and don't look if they don't survive i can go out and buy another one because the exportation of marine creatures is been cut down across the globe by governments.

If you do lose him resist the temptation of going out to replace him because white spot once in takes time to clear.
Tangs in the wild swim great distances around the reef flat body shape and small fin movement means very little effort to swim and also they like groups and huge i mean huge tank.
You have to now look at how you house them because disease is the cause of a stressor ...other fish water parameters...or it feels it dose not have enough room to swim without pumbing into other fish.
Look how your fish react with each other good luck.

My tank is running 18mts only thing changed is the glass box don't see how I rushed adding only 15 fish over 18mts?? It's the first time I've had a problem but I don't see it as a problem more of an issue, anyone adding a powder blue knows the risk it's how yeh deal with it theirs many of people who took a chance with this fish and lost nearly everything I have friends on here and the Leinster forum who have lost everything due to this, my wife family and friends told me I was nuts getting this fish but I had faith!! And so far I'm winning and he was the last fish to go in so I'm pretty confident it will be grand, only fish that will need rehousing is the naso but that will take yrs.
Kh, Ca, Mg, Sg, are all kept the same every day and 5% water change is done weekly for all the trace elements
I did a bit of weeding and took out the pulsing xenia and shrooms so I now have full control of everything growing unless zoas start jumping off the designated rock when the toadstools get to a stupid size il swap them with a shop for a small one and start again and the lps can easily be fragged
Would love to see some pics of your tank you should post a thread share your experiences

More
21 May 2014 14:13 #193 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Video

More
21 May 2014 14:16 #194 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Video

More
21 May 2014 14:17 #195 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
I give up

More
21 May 2014 14:26 #196 by jwm (sean sean)

I give up

I cant even get a Bl**ding picture up on it.

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

More
21 May 2014 14:57 #197 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Howye bud I had probs with the pics a while back, once I changed the settings on the camera on my phone to 1mb it worked fine you could try that

I've tried a good few things for a video and nothing but the one thing I can't is change the mb for recording so maybe that's it,

anyone know if that's what the problem is for the recording?? Mb to big??

More
21 May 2014 15:20 #198 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
lol

I normally upload them to youtube, set them as unlisted and paste the link ;)

More
21 May 2014 17:27 #199 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Howye I've managed to get it on YouTube but getting it from their to here seems impossible from my phone il see if I can do it later on the laptop might be a bit easier, I hope

More
21 May 2014 18:56 #200 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey Jeff

Should be quite easy. All you need is copy the url or the video id and paste it

Anyway, hurry up I want to see it!!! ;)

More
25 May 2014 13:39 #201 by carlowchris (chris)
Sound Chris all is well now no panic ha, foxface is doing great nice and fat and growing, did yeh get any coral yet??[/quote]

no corals yet...im waiting for you to start fragging.

hows the o zone and powder blue doing???

More
27 May 2014 00:51 #202 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Hey Jeff

Should be quite easy. All you need is copy the url or the video id and paste it

Anyway, hurry up I want to see it!!! ;)

sorry mate still cant do it :hammer:

the brother inlaw is calling down the weekend so gona get him to do it hes a computer wizz
me and computers is like fire and water :crazy:

More
27 May 2014 01:03 #203 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Sound Chris all is well now no panic ha, foxface is doing great nice and fat and growing, did yeh get any coral yet??

no corals yet...im waiting for you to start fragging.

hows the o zone and powder blue doing???[/quote]

howye chris

lol , no more fragging been done for awhile untill i fill a few more gaps

the ozone is cool but never smelled anything like it when cleaning the skimmer cup its a sewer multiplied by 100 its mental :sick:

powder blue is perfect now amazing looking fish plenty of attitude and very responsive to people, has his own gaff feeding well and loves to say hello and stair at yeh when viewing the tank , so thinking he may be a keeper thanks to ozone (but im still very weary of him for now) still early days, but so far so good

More
06 Jun 2014 23:45 - 06 Jun 2014 23:49 #204 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Finally i figured it out B)

Last edit: 06 Jun 2014 23:49 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
06 Jun 2014 23:58 #205 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

More
07 Jun 2014 08:41 #206 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Great looking tank as usual Jeff.

Thanks for the vids

More
17 Jun 2014 19:00 #207 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Cheers bud your still more than welcome to drop in and have a proper look and sure bring the misses it might help you destress her about the new bigger tank ;-)

More
17 Jun 2014 19:10 #208 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Well it's been six weeks of ozone now and not a sign of any ws, so gonna start turning it down now over the next week or so and see how things are for a few wks with no ozone

But I have to say running ozone is cool it keeps the tank a lot cleaner in many ways even the glass only needs cleaning once a week, where I use to have to do it every other day

May consider running it constant on low still undecided

But very happy how things have gone don't think many people have had this nightmare and lost nothing

More
17 Jun 2014 19:19 - 17 Jun 2014 19:22 #209 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
If I bring the missus to your house to see the tank, and sees the size of it she is going to go ballistic if I say I want something a bit smaller...

The trick is to tell her it will be a bit widers than the current one, just a 25 cm per side etc...

Once the aquarium is in it will be too late!

I have to pop over one day to take pictures as well, hopefully soon, my car has been of the road for 4 months now, time to put it back

Good to hear that. I wasnt sure if I wanted to add ozone in the future, now I know who to ask if I am looking for advice!
Last edit: 17 Jun 2014 19:22 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez).

More
18 Jun 2014 15:13 #210 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
:-D :-o I'm sure you won't be getting it for a while after the tank arrives haha

Sorry to hear about your car hope it's sorted soon you'll have to let me have a quick spin in it the next time ur down, cracker of a car and sounds like a tiger �

Yeh the ozone is cool but just remembered that it's not a good idea to run it all the time because you need to run carbon all the time and that can cause hole in the head

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds