Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719

My 1st marine tank

More
22 Apr 2016 22:06 #61 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2016 07:34 #62 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
From my experience, but only been keeping fish for 18months, clowns just before a full moon can be quite aggressive as it's their spawning time. Chromis are also a very aggressive fish, more so since you only have one. Have they ever fought before?

Your snails could have half eaten your fish as that's their job. Have you noticed any damage to the fish like bite marks? My clowns 3 days ago killed a snail that ventured into their corner lol. Always fighting with my chromis.

Other than that the bristle worm wouldn't kill a fish unless it was quite big.

More
23 Apr 2016 09:13 #63 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

From my experience, but only been keeping fish for 18months, clowns just before a full moon can be quite aggressive as it's their spawning time. Chromis are also a very aggressive fish, more so since you only have one. Have they ever fought before?

Your snails could have half eaten your fish as that's their job. Have you noticed any damage to the fish like bite marks? My clowns 3 days ago killed a snail that ventured into their corner lol. Always fighting with my chromis.

Other than that the bristle worm wouldn't kill a fish unless it was quite big.

Never noticed any aggression before and the clowns are very small, didn't notice any bite marks on the scooter but did see some on the gramma. Could've been the chromi I suppose, also have a skunk shrimp in there who stole food from the scooter at feeding time. Oh well hopefully il be more lucky next time

More
23 Apr 2016 09:43 #64 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Yeah

If I have to bet on a fish I would say the chromi. I had 3 of them once in my tank for over 2 days before I pulled them all out.

One of them on its own killed a 4 inch naso tang who I just put in the tank along with the chromis.

Very territorial fish, keep an eye on him!

More
23 Apr 2016 11:33 #65 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

Yeah

If I have to bet on a fish I would say the chromi. I had 3 of them once in my tank for over 2 days before I pulled them all out.

One of them on its own killed a 4 inch naso tang who I just put in the tank along with the chromis.

Very territorial fish, keep an eye on him!

might have to get rid of him, he was the first fish I put in there with the shrimp just after the tank was cycled. Never really liked chromis anyway

More
23 Apr 2016 14:14 #66 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Sukahn I'm in Galway tomorrow and if you want the chromi to put in your tank to help with cycling yiu can have him for nothing? Just let me know

More
23 Apr 2016 15:59 #67 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Lol, I still have 3 in my other tank cause I can't get them out without dismantling rock. Really wish I never got them. Far too aggressive. Charles will take him back. He got 5 in in his delivery and they should be kept in larger group.

Let me know if your going down and I'll meet ya in there. Its my birthday tomorrow so going to guilt him into a discount lol.

More
23 Apr 2016 16:30 #68 by robert (robert carter)
Happy birthday for tomorrow

More
23 Apr 2016 17:16 #69 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

Lol, I still have 3 in my other tank cause I can't get them out without dismantling rock. Really wish I never got them. Far too aggressive. Charles will take him back. He got 5 in in his delivery and they should be kept in larger group.

Let me know if your going down and I'll meet ya in there. Its my birthday tomorrow so going to guilt him into a discount lol.

Happy bday buddy, I didn't buy him in sh so doubt hel take him? I be down between 3-4 tomorrow

More
23 Apr 2016 17:25 #70 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
He'll still take it. He doesn't know what he sells lol. I have to head down and get parts for my reactor or buy a new one so I'll be heading down as well. Might wait till you are heading and I'll meet ya down there.

More
23 Apr 2016 17:25 #71 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)

Happy birthday for tomorrow

Cheers mate

More
23 Apr 2016 20:59 #72 by carlowchris (chris)
Jesus ...two deaths in the same day is heart breaking :-(( but wouldn't worry too much about it...the red scooter are a tricky fish anyway and really do need a well established aquarium....with loads of pods available..and the royal grammar I've had two of those in past one just dissapeared for no reason and the the other got Bullied by another fish....

We live and learn and everyone's tank is different with lots of different prsonalities in there.........

Time for something new and cool :whistle:

More
23 Apr 2016 21:43 #73 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

Jesus ...two deaths in the same day is heart breaking :-(( but wouldn't worry too much about it...the red scooter are a tricky fish anyway and really do need a well established aquarium....with loads of pods available..and the royal grammar I've had two of those in past one just dissapeared for no reason and the the other got Bullied by another fish....

We live and learn and everyone's tank is different with lots of different prsonalities in there.........

Time for something new and cool :whistle:

The gramma was my son's so probably will get him another, really like gobies like the pink spotted and love wrasses but they can be aggressive, any suggestions?

More
23 Apr 2016 21:53 #74 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

He'll still take it. He doesn't know what he sells lol. I have to head down and get parts for my reactor or buy a new one so I'll be heading down as well. Might wait till you are heading and I'll meet ya down there.

Cool I might bring it so, maybe hel give me a snail or crab for it if I'm lucky ;) ya il comment on this tomorrow when I'm on the way from athlone

More
24 Apr 2016 13:45 #75 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Just leaving now be in Seahorse around 4

More
24 Apr 2016 15:51 #76 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Sorry mate, both my kids are sick so wasn't able to get down

More
24 Apr 2016 19:41 #77 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
No worries at all bud, hope the kids are well

More
26 Apr 2016 01:13 #78 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Kids have been sick all weekend lol. Even worse tonight but im back in work again so my misses aint happy lol.

Did the guys have any ideas on what happened to your fish? Did they blame the chromis as well lol.

More
26 Apr 2016 06:59 #79 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
When are they ever happy lol no they didn't really, thought It very strange that a chromi would do it but then said if it was on its own then it was possible and it was on its own, he's gone as soon as I can catch the fecker

More
26 Apr 2016 23:59 #80 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Good luck with that. I have only ever removed one from my running tank. Best way is to get them used to eating from whatever you feed the tank with. If you use a pipet i found it was quite good, gave up on the others lol.

More
29 Apr 2016 19:34 #81 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Sorry for ur loss bud theirs nothing as bad but wouldn't be blaming the chromis I've mine yrs now they will scrap with each other but never seen the go for another fish
They need allot of food as thet are very active

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
30 Apr 2016 18:21 #82 by carlowchris (chris)
Did ya get anything new yet??....gobies are cool but in a new aquarium they don't seem to last long.....they also need loads of pods to survive....longest I had one live for was about 18 months.....

A six line wrasse is a good one...not really aggressive except to other wrasse s.. ....very active and swimming around all the time.....had a leopard wrasse once.... .never knew if it was dead or alive cause it constantly hid all the time.....a lot of wrasse s behave similar....so the six line seems to be a good tank choice.

I thought damsels were only aggressive with other damsels???....that must of Been one mean cromis to kill a tang.

More
30 Apr 2016 19:36 #83 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
No nothing as of yet really trying to take my time although the new livestock in sh is very appealing, so what your saying is to hold of on goby for a little longer, thas good to hear about the six line cos really do like them and might just take a chance on one.
Is there any cool bottom dwelling fish any of you would recommend?
Ordered them filter socks you recommended Chris and ordered a holder on ebay.
If the chromis didn't kill my fish I don't know what did

More
30 Apr 2016 20:01 - 30 Apr 2016 20:08 #84 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
One fish I really like and it is a good algae eater as well as a bottom dweler is the Salarias Ramosus Gobby

Lovely looking fella, just make sure is compatible with what you have, peaceful as well!

Well is mostly a rock dweller but still pretty
Last edit: 30 Apr 2016 20:08 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez).

More
30 Apr 2016 22:23 #85 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Cool looking fish

More
30 Apr 2016 22:49 #86 by carlowchris (chris)
Is that a snow flake blenney??

I've one of those on my tank...peacefull and even cooler than think....they blend into the rock unbelievably well and are very hard to spot sometimes even when there right in front of your face......

They can also change the amount of black and white they display on there skin to help camouflage themselves.....it's only when ya see them swim away they can almost go from a pure white to black on a couple of seconds.

More
30 Apr 2016 23:18 #87 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Yeap!

I like that fish, not sure how he/she would get along with the jawfish though so for the moment is a no no... but we will see.

I think it is very cool, specially at close look B)

More
30 Apr 2016 23:20 #88 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

Is that a snow flake blenney??

I've one of those on my tank...peacefull and even cooler than think....they blend into the rock unbelievably well and are very hard to spot sometimes even when there right in front of your face......

They can also change the amount of black and white they display on there skin to help camouflage themselves.....it's only when ya see them swim away they can almost go from a pure white to black on a couple of seconds.

Yes I looked them up and there also known as starry blenny or snowflake blenny, cool fish but also says well established tank

More
30 Apr 2016 23:21 #89 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Just my taught for the tank, if your thinking of putting in something that mainly feeds on copepods I would stay away from the six line. He is a complete all round hunter and will eat most pests but also most of the copepods.

What are you looking at down in seahorse. Wait till wed, Charles has a good order in so wait till you see what he gets then.

More
01 May 2016 00:56 #90 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

Just my taught for the tank, if your thinking of putting in something that mainly feeds on copepods I would stay away from the six line. He is a complete all round hunter and will eat most pests but also most of the copepods.

What are you looking at down in seahorse. Wait till wed, Charles has a good order in so wait till you see what he gets then.

Don't have any copepods in the tank but always wanted a wrasse but love the gobys aswel especially the pink spotted. Would I be wring in saying you have a pink spotted?

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds