Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719

My 1st marine tank

More
01 May 2016 07:11 #91 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
No don't have a pink spotted. Wrasse wise I just put 4 canary wrasse in my large tank, and have a dotty back in the m90.

I had a 6 line before in my smaller tank to control flat worm but after he done that he started to become overly aggressive towards my clowns in that tank.

Also have a mandarin in the m90 which after a few months will move to the bigger tank as I would like to get her a partner as they look great swimming together. Lost a male as the m90 couldn't support enough copepods to feed him and her, but the lads in SH taught he way have had a worm as he was eating frozen and hunting all the time but couldn't put on weight.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2016 21:59 #92 by carlowchris (chris)
Mine happily eats algae flakes and some of the seaweed on a clip....

.I'm unsuspecting the established aquarium might relate to maybe there a bit sensitive to nitrate spikes......

More
03 May 2016 02:46 #93 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
A mandarin like some other fish or the same type don't have a stomach, or so i have been told, so they need to eat and graze all the time in order to produce enough energy for movement.

I say they dont like spikes either cause my female doesnt lol. good you got your eating flake, mine never has but i have a great pod population in the tank.

More
03 May 2016 21:07 #94 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

More
03 May 2016 21:10 #95 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
This bristle worm came out this evening at feeding time easily 6" or more.he still had part of him anchored in the rock in this pic

More
03 May 2016 21:46 #96 by robert (robert carter)
Great picture

More
12 May 2016 19:32 #97 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Bought a filter sock holder on ebay and it arrived today, it sticks out too far from back of cabinet and goes past the return pipe. Do I return or is there a quick fix?

More
12 May 2016 19:36 #98 by robert (robert carter)
If its anything like the one i brought it cost 4 eoro so not worth returning , dont know if mine willfit until the tank arrives in the morning . If only they could speed up the post from china took 22 days to arrive

More
12 May 2016 19:43 #99 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Mine cost only 12€ but just wanted to start using the filter sock cos sumps looking a little messy

File Attachment:

More
12 May 2016 20:37 #100 by robert (robert carter)
Mine is hopefully going into the sump of the new coldwater koi tank . Never used one before just hoping it might take some of the heavy stuff out before it reaches the sponges, whats your experience with them ? Do they work?

More
12 May 2016 20:44 #101 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Oh cool , iv never used them before only in my second year fish keeping & switched to the salty side in January so honestly don't have any know how at all, it's all new to me still

More
12 May 2016 20:52 #102 by robert (robert carter)
Oh! So its the blind leading the blind :crazy:

More
12 May 2016 20:54 #103 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
:laugh: yes I'm afraid so

More
12 May 2016 21:27 #104 by carlowchris (chris)
How's it too big??? What size sock is that for 4 or 8 inch???

Have ya pic of the sump to show how it's fitting??

More
12 May 2016 21:34 #105 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

How's it too big??? What size sock is that for 4 or 8 inch???

Have ya pic of the sump to show how it's fitting??

It sticks out to far from cabinet to return pipe and even if I move sump out a little from cabinet and rest it on the glass ledge it still comes out to far past pipe.
Can you take look at my other post in water section Chris and let me know what you think?

More
12 May 2016 22:12 #106 by carlowchris (chris)
I see what you mean...it's fairly tight around those drains.....

Do you really need that sock holder though???just thinking maybe you could pull the sock up around them and then use something like a cable tie or a little velco strap and secure the sock in place by tieing the pipe to the little pull thingy on the top of the sock.

More
12 May 2016 22:58 #107 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

I see what you mean...it's fairly tight around those drains.....

Do you really need that sock holder though???just thinking maybe you could pull the sock up around them and then use something like a cable tie or a little velco strap and secure the sock in place by tieing the pipe to the little pull thingy on the top of the sock.

Good man Chris was looking for an alternative and il have to try this, velcro strap would probably be the handiest

More
13 May 2016 03:53 #108 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Ill post a pic of my filter sock behind my skimmer tomorrow guys, Im not using a holder, just have the sock pulled up around my two return pipes, very tight fit but it seams to be working a treat.

More
13 May 2016 05:57 #109 by robert (robert carter)
sounds like another problem solved with the help of forum members , where would we be without you lads , in deep sxxt I reckon ,I certainly would be

More
14 May 2016 12:36 #110 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Here it is, no need for cable tie, just fits snug between pipe and ledge :)

File Attachment:

More
14 May 2016 13:12 #111 by robert (robert carter)
Just a thought if it overflows its going to put water everywhere , have mine so that if it overflows the water will still remain within the sump ,in otherwords the top of the sock is below the top of the sump . Its just an observation

More
14 May 2016 14:10 #112 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
It is filling up quickly will alter it now

More
14 May 2016 14:30 #113 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
This is all I can do with it because iv no space either side of pipe, it should do the job?
File Attachment:

More
14 May 2016 14:46 #114 by robert (robert carter)
reckon that should do the job , hope you didn't mind me making that observation ,not trying to tell how to do things . my sock is filling as well just from the water settlement no fish as yet ,just goes to show that they do the job

More
14 May 2016 18:24 #115 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Not a problem at all, still learning so nice to hear other people's thoughts

More
06 Jun 2016 16:48 #116 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Ok so I'm nursing a bad hangover today :sick: and decided the only cure was a trip to sh,came home with not 1 but 3 new additions,
Seems to have made me feel a lot better lol

File Attachment:

More
06 Jun 2016 16:49 #117 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

More
06 Jun 2016 16:50 #118 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

More
06 Jun 2016 16:59 #119 by carlowchris (chris)
cool :whistle:

love the bangai and the snowflake blennie will have ya on the constant hunt for him

what type of wrasse is that????

I can never go in to seahorse and walk out with just what I went in for ;)

More
06 Jun 2016 18:38 #120 by robert (robert carter)
Argee chris never visited sh without buying something :cool:

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds